Reprinted with permission from the Christian Science Monitor.

In Senegal, elementary schools experiment with teaching students in their native language

by CS Monitor Staff from Worldwide

In Senegal,98 public elementary schools are experimenting with teaching students in the native language of Wolof rather than French, the language of the nation’s former colonists.

The students will benefit from instruction in the language they speak at home, linguistics professor Mbacke Diagne, of Dakar’s Cheikh Anta Diop University, told Voice of America. Most children entering elementary school in Senegal, he noted, have been functioning in Wolof for several years. “They have structured their world in this language,” he said, “but as soon as they get to school, all this knowledge is set aside in order to impose French.” 

Similar movements are under way in a number of other African nations as well.   

121228Kwamang, GhanaMelanie Stetson/Freeman/Staff/File 

Not all educators agree, however. Some point out that many African nations recognize multiple languages. In Senegal, for instance, although an estimated 80 percent of the population speaks Wolof, the government also recognizes 20 other native languages. In Ghana, the official language is English, but the government recognizes an additional 11 languages, with at least 70 different dialects spoken. 

CS Monitor - In Senegal, elementary schools are experimenting with teaching students in the native language of Wo
Please consider donating today [X] Close
If you share our goals of shining light on the heroes in our midst and empowering people around the world to create positive change, please consider donating today. The MY HERO Project is a haven of hope — a gathering of inspiration and a celebration of the best of our humanity. Our staff and millions of people around the world depend on the help of people like you so MY HERO can continue to thrive for years to come. Thank you for your donation.