International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women

To raise public awareness of violence against women

Credit: UN Women

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

Film

Watch the following films about heroes fighting for the elimination of violence against women.

Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices speaks out on violence against women

MY HERO

Alyse Nelson of Vital Voices makes an impassioned call to change culture and end the global crisis of violence against women.

Women are Gold

Lizzie Green
One woman must learn how to value herself in a society that holds men in higher esteem than women.

Women Rights - PSA

Produced by:Rajat Diwan
A PSA calling for better ways to protect women in India.

Stories

These heroes are standing up for the rights of women around the world.

RAWA

By: Wendy Jewell
RAWA promotes women's rights through non-violent action.

Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe

By: Jane Wallace
Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe works to end violence and sexual exploitaton in Uganda.

Kyung Yoon Kang

By: Claire Huang
Kyung Yoon Kang is a reporter who exposes criminal activity against women among male celebrities in Korea.

Elizabeth Smart

By: Sydney Eminhizer
Elizabeth Smart survived a 9-month kidnapping when she was 14 years old and is now an advocate for overcoming trauma.

Stories from the Christian Science Monitor

Mallika Dutt

By: Leslie Garrett <br> Contributor of <br>The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5...
Mallika Dutt found help in her work to end violence against women. She recruited men.

Dallas Jessup made 'Just Yell Fire' to teach young women to defend themselves

By: Gail Wood <br> Contributor of <br>The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Perm...
Dallas Jessup was just a teenager when she made the video 'Just Yell Fire.' Today she's continuing that mission to help girls and young women stay safe.

Mobilizing Young Men in India to End Violence Against Women

By: Anna da Costa<br> Thomson Reuters Foundation <br> <h5>Permission to use this...
A small but growing number of organizations in India are tackling gender-based violence at its root, making men a central part of the solution.

Listen & Read Along

The following story has a link so you can hear the audio as you read. Great for ESL students!

Maria Bashir

By: Mena from San Diego
Maria Bashir is an Afghani prosecutor and advocate for women.

Art

Women who speak out about violence towards women are honored in artworks.

Natalia Estemirova

By: Denise Beaudet

Russian women's rights activist celebrated as part of the Roots to Resistance Global Postcard & Poster Campaign

Irene Fernandez

By: Tom Block

The Human Rights Painting Project has identified Irene Fernandez as an activist who reported on human rights abuses and was incarcerated as a result of her work.

Jacqueline Moudeina - Human Rights Painting Project

By: Tom Block

Jacqueline Moudeina has received numerous death threats — unintended consequences of her distinction as one of Chad's most prominent human rights lawyers.

Meena Keshwar Kamal

By: Tom Block

At 20 years of age, Meena Keshwar Kamal began her work to empower the women of Afghanistan. In 1977 she founded the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA) to provide education, shelter and healthcare.

Related Pages

Women's Equality Day

By: Becky Miller

Instituted by Rep. Bella Abzug and first established in 1971, the date commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment, the Woman Suffrage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which gave U.S. women full voting rights in 1920.

Women's History Month | March

The My Hero Project celebrates Women's History Month by featuring women heroes who have advanced women's rights and broken barriers.

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 9/20/2019 6:02:45 PM by

Last edited 10/29/2023 2:15:57 PM by Abigail Richardson