International Day of Friendship

July 30

International Day of Friendship (page)
Credit: mh

The International Day of Friendship celebrates "a shared spirit of human solidarity that takes many forms — the simplest of which is friendship." Together, we can confront global challenges, such as poverty, violence and human rights abuses. 

These short films highlight the breadth and depth of the power of friendship to transform lives.

The Hand You Were Dealt

Jack Hessler
Among the many ideas and beliefs that separate us, there are two fundamental human qualities that we all share: the yearning for love and the ability to help others.

Upstanders: The Mosque Across the Street

Producer: Howard Schultz and Rajiv Chandrasekaran

What happens when a mosque moves across the street from a church in the Bible Belt?

Laguna Beach Police Anti-Bullying Campaign Featuring Tony Hawk

Producer: LBPD Social Media Team

Young people are encouraged to demonstrate friendship in the face of bullying in schools.

The Chameleon's True Colors

Producer: Carolyn Downie

A colorful chameleon learns to be himself in a fun song that celebrates diversity, individuality and friendship.

Stories

Jahkil Jackson

By: Abigail Richardson
A Young Philanthropist Making a Big Difference

Bianca Valenti

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Bianca Valenti and three other female big wave surfers turned their strong friendship into the Committee for Equity in Women's Surfing, which fights for equal access and pay.

Daniel Goldberg

By: MY HERO Staff

Daniel Goldberg, a Santa Barbara teen, created "Zoomers to Boomers," a collection of his high school friends who bring groceries to the Boomer generation during the Coronavirus pandemic.

An Israeli-Palestinian Sisterhood

By: Ruth Ebenstein
American-Israeli Orthodox Jew Ruth Ebenstein and Palestinian Muslim Ibtisam became best friends after meeting at a support group for women with breast cancer.

Annie Sullivan: The Teacher Who Believed She Could

By: Sophia Daluraya

Annie Sullivan formed a close friendship with her iconic student, Helen Keller, whom she taught sign language.

Women Heroes Noel Bennett and Tiana Bighorse

By: SUSAN Drennan GABRIEL Bunn
Two storytellers, elder Tiana Bighorse and young Noel Bennett published Tiana's family history. Now elderly, Noel is collaborating with Tiana's great grandson.

Newswire Stories

Preserving Language: Rapper and Rabbi revive Love Songs in Old Spanish Ladino Dialect

By: Dinah Kraft, Correspondent, CS Monitor

Unlikely friends overcome difference when a rapper and rabbi become friends.

Global Artists Interpret Friendship in Unique and Beautiful Ways

Through art we can viscerally experience the sense of security, feelings of joy, and acceptance good friendships add to our human experience. 

Two Friends
Credit: Balaji from India

World Friendship Bridge
Credit: Araf Khaled

Friendship
Credit: Katy Hosea

Pakistan - Art Miles Mural
The mural ' Multi religious harmony' is designed by a Pakistani artist and peace activist, Fauzia Minallah. All the shapes were cut out from different colored cotton cloth. These pieces were put together like a jigsaw puzzle with christian children in a shanty town of Islamabad. Fauzia Minallah gave this statement to MY HERO regarding the MURAL. "Through this simple art activity I as someone from majority religion of Pakistan I wanted the kids from marginalized minority to know that I respect all religions".
Credit: Fauzia Minallah

See films about friendship from the MY HERO International Film Festival

Andy

Jamy Wheless | Executive Producer: Jean Schultz | Lead Animator: Brendan Gottlie...
An uplifting story of how one puppy overcomes a series of obstacles to find his purpose in life.

Building a Shower Trailer for Chico's Houseless on a Budget... of Love!

Produced by:Respectful Revolution
This video is one of the latest from the Respectful Revolution project that is dedicated to documenting humane solutions to our world's many challenges.

TRANSPARENCY: Becoming Oliver

Tessa Grace Morell
Experimental short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver" written by Oliver Marino.

Links

http://www.un.org/en/events/friendshipday/index.shtml

Check out our Hero Calendar to learn more

Organizer created on 7/18/2018 8:55:30 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 7/18/2023 1:46:02 PM by Abigail Richardson