International Day of Older Persons

To honor the contributions of older persons, as well as to fight ageism and the challenges faced by many of the elderly for a better future.

Credit: All photos CC by 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons

Eva Haller

Activist, mentor, philanthropist, Holocaust survivor born May 9, 1930

Eva Haller hosts a weekly salon series via zoom which includes lectures from some of the greatest minds of today. See these talks at the Eva Salon Series.

To join the zoom salon, please email [email protected].

Trailer: Eva Halle: 'A Work in Progress'

By: Jeanne Meyers and Kitty Richardson

Eva is a MY HERO Film Festival sponsor and board member. 

Eva Haller

By: Xenia Shin
The Women Transforming Media interview with Eva Haller -- Holocaust survivor, philanthropist, mentor. Learn about Eva and more women heroes at myhero.com.

MY HERO 2023 Film Festival Finalists

Fred Emmert — "In The Eyes of My Youth" [excerpt]

By: Charles Michael Murray
Documentary on premier Southern California Aerial Photographer's Life.

Midwest Ice Age!

By: Lorene Yoxtheimer
A Midwest man faces challenges as he realizes his dream of creating an ice carving company that helps to bring communities closer together.

They Don't Make 'em like Willy Anymore

By: Blacksmith Rose
"They Don't Make 'Em Like Willie Anymore" is a video about heartfelt appreciation for the music of Texas singer-songwriter, Willie Nelson.

Dolores Huerta | Labor leader, activist

Born May 9, 1930

Dolores Huerta by Marilyn Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta
Activist Marilyn Huerta portrayed by artist Marilyn Huerta

Dolores Huerta

By: Marilyn Huerta

Dolores Huerta standing to the left of a portrait of her painted by her daughter, Marilyn Huerta.

Dolores Huerta

Archbishop Desmond Tutu | Anti-apartheid leader

Born October 7, 1931

Desmond Tutu

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project
Desmond Tutu worked to end apartheid in South Africa and encourages forgiveness.

Jane Goodall | Primatologist, activist, UN Peace Messenger

Born April 3, 1934

"Jane Goodall: A champion for the planet for over 60 years" | Lori Henrique | Music Video

Art Miles Mural and MY HERO partner on the HERO MILE
Credit: Todd and students from Southwestern college in San Diego

Gloria Steinem | Feminist icon, activist

Born March 25, 1934

Gloria Steinem

By: Alicia from San Diego

Sylvia Earle | Oceanographer, marine biologist, activist

Born August 30, 1935

MY HERO's multimedia showcase paying tribute to the legendary conservationist, Dr. Sylvia Earle.

Sylvia Earle
Credit: Mission Blue - Kip Evans

Sandi Bachom | Social Justice Videographer

Born October 14, 1925

Sandi Bachom

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel
Sandi Bachom is a 75-year-old videographer and MY HERO Film Festival winner who lives in New York City.

Marianne Wright Edelman | Activist, Civil Rights Leader

Born June 6, 1939

Marian Wright Edelman and the Children's Defense Fund: A Fight for Children's Advocacy

This documentary tells the story of the Children's Defense Fund and its involvement in legislative efforts toward a better future for America's kids.

Marian Wright Edelman

By: Staff Writer
Marian Wright Edelman is one of the country's leading advocates for children.

Marian Wright Edelman

By: Robert Shetterly

John Lewis | Civil rights leader, Congressman

born February 21, 1940

John Lewis

By: Kathy Crockett <br>My Hero
John Lewis has worked for civil rights for all for over 40 years.

Citizenship

Produced by:Anson Schloat and John G. Young
A film about John Lewis on citizenship and character: "To be a good citizen is to obey the rules...the laws. Unless those laws conflict with your conscience.

John Lewis by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly
Civil Rights hero John Lewis as painted by Robert Shetterly

Dr. Hawa Abdi | Human rights leader, physician

Born May 17, 1947

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Produced by:Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.

Frances Moore Lappe is an activist who has been fighting hunger and for the environment for over 50 years

Frances Moore Lappé (Lappe)

By: Rosemary Pritzker
Hero Frances Moore Lappe is a passionate and pioneering thinker and activist who fights world hunger.

Frances Moore Lappé’s Diet for a Small Planet Celebrates 50th Anniversary

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer
Frances Moore Lappé’s Diet for a Small Planet Celebrates 50th Anniversary with new edition.

Eva Haller Salon Frances Moore Lappé

Films and Stories from our MY HERO Library

Inclusion On the Air

By: Eli Canter
Emily Perl Kingsley is a former Sesame Street writer and longtime activist for children with disabilities and their families.

Hello Anna!

By: Lucy Schacher
Author and illustrator Anna Walker recounts her memories of writing and creating her award-winning children's books.

Phyllis: A Self Portrait

Harris Cohen

Phyllis: A Self Portrait is a Finalist for the 2022 MY HERO Film Festival

By: Natalia Osuna
Director and producer Harris Cohen is a finalist for the 2022 MY HERO Film Festival for his film Phyllis: A Self Portrait, an inspirational short documentary film featuring a driven, multi-talented woman who is passionate about transforming her community.

The PRATT in the HAT (Trailer)

Susan Hillary
Beneath the brims of hundreds of colorful hats is a woman who shares her wisdom, humor, and personal experiences about being black in America, then and now.

Fighting Ageism

The Invisible

Produced by:The Animation School
Journeying through a seaside town, the elderly Ida remains unseen

'The Invisible' is finalist for MY HERO Film Fest Award

By: Deborah Neff

Let's End Ageism

(2017) / TED TED Conference, August 9, 2017https://www.ted.com/talks/ashton_applewhite_let_s_end_ageism

"Ageism is a widely prevalent and prejudicial attitude that stems from the assumption that age discrimination, and sometimes neglect and abuse of older persons is a social norm and therefore, acceptable. It is a reality in some form in all societies, and finds expression in individuals’ attitudes, institutional and policy practices, as well as media representation that devalue and exclude older persons. In 2014, Governments around the world adopted a resolution at the Economic and Social Council that recognized ageism as “the common source of, the justification for and the driving force behind age discrimination.” - United Nations International Day of Older Persons 

.....As you grow older, you learn to help those younger than you on thier journey through life. Your very own family probably has one of the wisest people you know!
Credit: Nathan Smith

Art Miles Mural and My Hero Partner on the HERO MILE
Credit: Team name: The Calm After the Storm (Korea)

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"If You're Not in the Obituary Eat Breakfast" (Trailer) (2020) by HBODocs

Old age isn't what you think it is.

Organizer created on 9/24/2017 6:04:28 AM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 10/2/2023 12:13:09 PM by Abigail Richardson