SHOWCASE

International Day of UN Peacekeepers | May 29

Paying tribute to the more than 4,300 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the United Nations flag, since the first peacekeeping mission in 1948.

About International Day of UN Peacekeepers

In 1948, the UN deployed the first peacekeeping mission. According to the UN, peacekeeping was developed "to help countries torn by conflict create the conditions for lasting peace."

A UN peacekeeping mission makes it 75 to 85 percent less likely that an area will relapse into conflict, according to a study published in Peace Operations Review. Often risking their lives in dangerous surroundings, UN peacekeepers save lives and protect the world’s most vulnerable people, in countries transitioning from war to peace such as Sierra Leone, Cambodia, Timor Leste, Namibia, El Salvador and beyond. 

Defying Death in South Sudan is a short film directed by Francis Mead. It won the Ron Kovic Peace Prize at the 2016 MY HERO International Film Festival. We think this is a must-see film about Ken Payumo, a former NYPD officer and Justice Department attorney, who protected thousands of civilians in South Sudan during the height of the violence in the country in December 2013. 

Defying Death in S. Sudan

Producer: Francis Mead

This award-winning film asks the question: You are an unarmed UN civilian in charge of a compound where 12000 people have fled for safety. You are confronted by 80 armed soldiers and a government minister demanding to enter the compound. You know they will almost certainly kill people if they get in. What do you do?

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for International Day of UN Peacekeepers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

My Hero suggested viewing: Under the Blue Helmet: Life as a UN Peacekeeper. 

Produced by UN Peacekeeping, this 360-degree film provides a virtual experience of the front lines of peacekeeping: "Over 70 years, over 70 operations, more than 1 million civilian, police and militiary UN personnel have helped, protected and nurtured a fragile peace."

Links

Related Pages 

Ban Ki Moon

By: Daniel from Saipan

Ban Ki Moon is a former South Korean Foreign Minister who became the 8th Secretary General of the UN from 2007-2016. He was strong diplomatically on global warming and the Darfur conflict.

Kofi Annan

By: Soka from Nashville
Kofi Anna is a Ghanaian diplomat and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate for his focus on human rights, reforming the UN organization and commitment to ending AIDS in Africa. He served as the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations from January 1997 to December 2006.

Boutros Boutros Ghali

By: Mariam from Cairo
“The secret of my success is that I have always been able to fly another day.” Boutros Boutros-Ghali was an Egyptian politician and diplomat and 6th UN Secretary-General from January 1992 to December 1996

United Nations Peace Keeping Forces

By: Sheku A. Turay, Sierra Leone
Artist is a student with the iEARN project in Sierra Leone

Organizer created on 5/23/2018 12:42:59 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 3/20/2024 7:59:46 AM by Abigail Richardson