LESSON PLAN

International Day of Women and Girls in Science Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of the contributions of women in science with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

International Day of Women and Girls in Science

Get Inspired by Films Celebrating Women in Science 

Students watch the following three films and consider the discussion questions.

Breaking Boundaries in Science VR

Produced by:FILAMENT GAMES

Breaking Boundaries is an interactive celebration of history’s most influential women scientists such as Grace Hopper and Marie Curie.

Secrets of the Universe Profile - DR. SANTONA TULI

Stephen Low

This excerpt from: The Secrets of the Universe, features Dr. Santona Ruli a student of nuclear physics shares her involvement with CERN. 

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis

Learn about Dr. Gail Brown, PhD., a trailblazer for women in science and a renowned research physicist at the Air Force Research Laboratory.

Stories Celebrating Women Scientists

Stories for students to read before considering the discussion questions.

There are stories that include an audio link allowing students to listen as they read along. 

Mae Jemison

By: Christian Walsh

Mae Jemison dreamed of going to space since childhood and was the first black woman to travel in space when she served as a mission specialist aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Dilfuza Egamberdiyeva

By: Wendy Jewell

Dilfuza Egamberdiyeva cares for the Earth's soil, researching ways to produce microbes to control plant diseases.

Sylvia Earle, Oceanographer

By: Sofia Garcia

Sylvia Earle is a noted marine biographer and explorer.

Learn about the Collaboration between Elizabeth Lee Hazen and Rachel Fuller Brown Through These Two Stories 

Elizabeth Lee Hazen

By: Elise from Cincinnati

One of the most famous collaborations in the history of American medical science was between two women: Elizabeth Lee Hazen and Rachel Fuller Brown.

Rachel Fuller Brown

By: Ashley from USA

Rachel Fuller Brown and Elizabeth Lee Hazen co-developed an anti-fungal antibiotic. 

Stories with Text and Audio:

Great for ESL Students and Emerging Readers

Katherine Johnson

By: Kyra from Ankara, Turkey

Her story was hidden for decades: Katherine Johnson plotted multiple flight courses for NASA, including the Apollo 11 spacecraft, the first spaceship to reach the moon.

Andrea Mia Ghez

By: Jennifer Lauren Lee

Andrea Mia Ghez is an astrophysicist best known for her discoveries about the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Rosalind Elsie Franklin

By: Tiffany from St. Clair

Rosalind Franklin's work was central to the understanding of the molecular structures of DNA. 

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field

Dr. France Cordova is a renowned astrophysicist who has broken gender and cultural barriers.

Gertrude B. Elion

By: Susannah Abbey

Gertrude B. Elion developed the AIDS drug, AZT.

Fabiola Gianotti

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project

Fabiola Gianotti is an Italian particle physicist.

Discussion Questions

1. What character traits did these women demonstrate that allowed them to break through the gender barrier that existed in their chosen field of science?

2. What challenges did these women face and how did they overcome them?

3. What contributions to scientific discovery have been credited to these science heroes? 

4. Why is it important to ensure full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls? 

LINK TO CLASS ACTIVITIES TO USE WITH YOUR CLASS AND THE MY HERO RESOURCES  IN THIS LESSON PLAN

Recommended Link

Credit: UN

Laura Nietzer

The International Day of Women and Girls in Science lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Even More MY HERO Resources to Use in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

MY HERO editors are always on the lookout for outstanding stories, art, films or essays submitted through our Create program. Your student's work could be featured on MY HERO's homepage, the Story homepage, Gallery homepage, Audio homepage and on our social media accounts! In addition, MY HERO recognizes exemplary student work with: gift certificates, certificates of participation, t-shirts and promotion on social media.

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Students can enter contests and win prizes! MY HERO has all kinds of contests. Take a look at our contests page and find one that lets your student shine.

All student can enter for free. Students must email for a waiver code to submit their films for free to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Students should visit the MY HERO Calendar every day because the calendar features 365 days of heroes.

Organizer created on 1/20/2020 12:33:45 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 2/9/2021 4:21:52 PM by Xenia Shin