LESSON PLAN

International Day to End Impunity for Crimes Against Journalists Teacher Lesson Plan

Share the importance of the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes Against Journalists with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists lesson plan
Credit: UN Photo/Tobin Jones

Students read the story about Daniel Pearl, a journalist killed by terrorists in Pakistan.

Students read the story and watch the films about Dan Eldon, a photojournalist killed while on assignment in Somolia, before considering the discussion questions and activities. 

Daniel Pearl

By: Geeta Malik and Kathy Crockett

Daniel Pearl was a Wall Street Journal reporter who reported the news with courage, integrity, and intelligence.

About Dan Eldon

Produced by:Jason Russell

Dan Eldon was a photojournalist who used his creativity to effect positive change for those in need. He was killed while on assignment in Somalia, but his spirit lives on in the Creative Visions Foundation, founded by his mother and sister.

The Journey is the Destination (Trailer)

Produced by:Kathy Eldon +

THE JOURNEY IS THE DESTINATION is based on the remarkable true story of the life of Dan Eldon.

Dan Eldon

By: Wendy Jewell

Dan Eldon gave his life to reveal the famine in Somalia to the world.

Discussion Questions

1. How do journalists put themselves in harm's way? What is it about a foreign correspondent or photojournalist's job that can be dangerous? 

2. How can we promote tolerance and discourage violence against individuals like Daniel Pearl and Dan Eldon, who report about conditions in different parts of the world? 

3. Dan Eldon had the spirit of compassion and worked to help others. Who in your family or community is working to help others? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

4. Some people told Dan Eldon that he was too young to make a difference, but he proved them wrong. What is a cause you believe in? How can you help? Create an action plan and share your journey with MY HERO.

5. Who is a journalist you find inspiring? Share his or her story with MY HERO.  

Students read about journalist Nawal El Saadawi and photographer James Nachtwey to learn more about how journalists and photojournalists risk their lives to tell their stories.

Do you have a journalist you admire? Share his or her story with MY HERO. 

Nawal El Saadawi

By: Geeta Malik

Nawal El Saadawi continued writing while in prison; her words could not be silenced.

James Nachtwey

By: Claudia Hudson

"I have been a witness, and these pictures are my testimony. The events I have recorded should not be forgotten and must not be repeated."

Students: Analyze the pages from Dan Eldon's journals and start your own journal inspired by Dan Eldon. Include photographs, drawings, words and artifacts that reflect what is important to you. 

Students: Analyze the portrait of Natalia Estemirova and read the accompanying text found on the Gallery page. Who is a journalist who inspires you? Create a portrait of your journalist hero and include a paragraph about him or her.

The Journey is the Destination - Hands

By: Dan Eldon

Dan Eldon (1970–1993) was an international photojournalist, artist and activist killed in Somalia on assignment. His journals show his art and global ideas.

The Journey is the Destination - Africa Eyes

By: Dan Eldon

This image from Dan Eldon's journal pages collages a photo of Musa Mwariama and Prime Minister Jomo Kenyatta in 1963 after Independence.

The Journey is the Destination - Self Portrait in Soweto Cell 5

By: Dan Eldon

Dan Eldon was a photojournalist, artist and activist killed on assignment in Somalia. His illustrated journals reveal a passion for art and respect for Africa.

Natalia Estemirova

By: Denise Beaudet

Part of the Roots to Resistance Global Postcard & Poster Campaign

Learning Outcome

Students will become aware of the dangers and violence journalists around the world face as they work to write what they see, and for publishing truthful articles, photographs, and insightful interviews. Students will realize the importance of journalists telling these stories in a society that values truth and unbiased reporting. 

Laura Nietzer

The International Day to End Impunity for Crimes Against Journalists lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Links

MY HERO Calendars for use in the Classroom

MY HERO's Teachers Calendar Features Lesson Plans and Multimedia Resources

Teachers Calendar

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 9/30/2019 3:19:56 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 6/27/2023 12:15:01 PM by Laura Nietzer