LESSON PLAN

August 12 | International Youth Day Multimedia Resources and Lesson Plan for Teachers

Share the importance of International Youth Day with your students. MY HERO's multimedia lesson plan inspires students to be partners in global change.

International Youth Day Lesson Plan

The theme for International Youth Day 2021 is “Transforming Food Systems: Youth Innovation for Human and Planetary Health”, with the aim of highlighting that the success of such a global effort will not be achieved without the meaningful participation of young people.

Students watch the following films about educators teaching the importance of healthy food and students working to create access to gardens for those who don't have access to land to garden. Students learn about food justice and the need for healthy food to be equally accessible to all and are inspired to see what they can do in their own community. .

Growing a Healthy Community

Produced by:Light House Studio
A documentary about Growing for CHANGE made by students in the Westhaven Community.

Edible City - Joy Moore

Produced by:Andrew Hasse
Joy Moore, longtime food activist, teaches gardening and nutrition to high schoolers at Berkeley Technology Academy, makes them smoothies, and discusses her views on social justice, food, and education.

The following stories honor young heroes working to overcome the consequences of the climate change.

Global Youth Climate Movement

By: Slater Jewell-Kemker
Slater Jewell-Kemker interviews inspiring young activists from the Global Youth Climate Movement and US Youth for Sustainable Development.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff
On the first day, Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with Asperger's, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Discussion Questions:

1. Identify people and organizations who are working on transforming food systems to become more sustainable. Share their story with MY HERO using the Create Program.  

2. What are some of the consequences of Climate Change? 

3. What is being done to improve the status of climate change? What can you do?

Students watch the following three films and listen to the song by Mendy Kanu's students in Sierra Leone.

Inspire students to become partners in global change with the following discussion guide.

Mohamed Sidibay: Teaching Peace

Producer: The MY HERO Project

Mohamed Sidibay is a survivor of a horrific civil war in Sierra Leone, where he was forced to fight as a child soldier. Now he advocates for better access to education worldwide. (2:48 min)

Off the Grid: A Climate Solution

Produced by:Slater Jewell-Kemker
Two girls go to Nepal to build a shelter that will collect fresh water and solar energy in hopes of solving community problems.

Future Generation: Children's Foundation Of Technology- Sierra Leone

By: Young Positive music Kids, Children Foundation Of Technology

Mendy Kanu started the Children's Foundation of Technology in Sierra Leone to bring education to children in poverty. Listen to his students' song. (4:32 minutes)

He Named Me Malala - Official Trailer

Producer: Laurie MacDonald

He Named Me Malala is a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Malala Yousafzai. (2:31 minutes)

Discussion Questions

1. Both Mohamed Sidibay and Malala Yousafzai are advocates for children's equal rights to education. Who else is an advocate for children's rights to education? Share his or her story with MY HERO.

2. Mendy Kanu saw a need in his community and started the Children's Foundation of Technology in Sierra Leone for impoverished children. Do you know of other people bringing education to children in need? Share their story with MY HERO.

3. What can you do to ensure that all children have access to education? Research places in need, create an action plan and share your story with MY HERO.

Students watch the films below about two young filmmakers who use their craft to shine a light on issues that are important to them: climate change, identity, and racism.

Students consider the discussion questions

Slater Unstoppable

Producer: MY HERO

Director Slater Jewell-Kemker shares her journey with MY HERO.

Women Transforming Media: Gabrielle Gorman

Producer: Xenia Shin, Jeanne Meyers, et al.

Emerging filmmaker Gabrielle Gorman's poetic filmmaking confronts issues like identity, racism and self-love. Her goal is to make art for social change. 

Discussion Questions

1. What issues are important to you? What can you do? Create an action plan and share your story with MY HERO.                                                                                                

2. How can you express an issue that is important to you through film or song? Share your project with MY HERO. 

Additional Film Resources: MY HERO Suggested Videos

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Isra Hirsi" (2019) by Brower Youth Awards

Isra Hirsi is a 16-year-old from Minneapolis, Minnesota, who is the Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director of the US Youth Climate Strike, which focuses on fighting the climate crisis through climate strikes and climate policy.

MY HERO Suggested Video

"Athletic, Concerned College Students Deliver 626,000+ lbs of Produce to Food Banks in Need" (2020) by The Farm Link Project

Get involved at FarmLink.org

Learning Outcomes

Students will understand how they are not limited by age to make a positive difference.

Students will develop research and critical thinking skills as they evaluate children's access to education.

Students are encouraged to use multimedia to celebrate a personal hero. 

Laura Nietzer

The International Youth Day lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Teachers: Visit MY HERO for additional multimedia curated resources for International Youth Day.

International Youth Day Multimedia Resource Showcase

Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 7/8/2019 7:08:10 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 8/11/2021 2:15:29 PM by Laura Nietzer