LESSON RESOURCE

UN Sustainable Development Goals Teacher Resources

Share the importance of the UN Sustainability Goals with your students. Bring classrooms to life with MY HERO's Multimedia Resources. 

UN Sustainable Development Goals
Credit: United Nations

Use MY HERO curated multimedia resources connected to  UN Sustainability Development Goals to enhance student learning. 

MY HERO Recommends Sharing the Film the World's Largest Lesson with Students as an Introduction to the Importance of the UN Sustainability Development Goals.

The World's Largest Lesson

Produced by:Produced by: Helen Argo / Directed by: Sarah Cox

Everyone must work together to achieve the 17 Global Goals for sustainable development. Great introduction for students of the importance of the SDGs.

Goal #1 No Poverty: End poverty in all its forms everywhere

Ana Dodson

Ana Dodson is an American who was adopted from Peru. As a teen, she started the nonprofit Peruvian Hearts, which helps orphans in Peru.

Chen Guangcheng

By: Soham Pawaskar

Chen Guangcheng, known as the "Barefoot Lawyer," is a blind civil rights activist in rural China, focusing on human rights, women's rights and the rights of the poor.

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle

Bryan Stevenson has been recognized across the globe for the work that he has done to address poverty and racial inequality.

Dr. J. Larry Brown

Dr. J. Larry Brown directs the national Center on Hunger and Poverty.

On International Women's Day: 12 innovations that are lifting women out of poverty

By: Nourishing the Planet <br> <h5>Permission to use this material<br> was grant...

Gerda Klein

By: Marilyn Huerta

Lily Yeh

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal # 2 No Hunger: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture

Farm2People: Eric Holdener and Anna Hopkins

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Farm2People is a nonprofit that works to deliver produce to food insecure areas of Los Angeles County in the wake of COVID-19.

Gerda Klein

Gerda is a human rights activist and 2010 Medal of Freedom recipient. She and her husband established the Gerda and Kurt Klein Foundation to combat hunger and intolerance.

Rowena Gerber

By: Wendy Jewell

Rowena Gerber and her students raise money to send Solar Ovens around the world.

Norman Borlaug

By: Martin from Richmond

Norman Borlaug was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his success in increasing the world's food supply.

America's Second Harvest

By: Claudia Hudson

Sarah Ramirez

By: Jacob from Mission Viejo

Sarah Ramirez works with local food banks, where food is distributed to impoverished people all across the community. Available in text with audio.

NO STARVING

By: nostarving.org

Farmers Feeding the World

By: AgWeb

Robin Emmons

By: Sydney from Roseville

Robin Emmons is an organic farmer who has created a foundation to fight hunger.

World Food Day

By: Becky Miller

Learn about the importance of World Food Day, which promotes the #2 UN Sustainable Development Goal -- a world free from hunger and malnutrition.

Goal # 3 Good Health and Well-being: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all, at all ages

Doctors Without Borders

By: Nathaniel from Los Angeles

Doctors Without Borders gives medical care to people in 70 countries worldwide.

Rachel Gemara: Nursing COVID-19 Patients in Israel

By: Ruth Ebenstein

Rachel Gemara is an oncology nurse in Jerusalem who treated patients with COVID-19 at a popup unit at Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

Federica and Baby Malick

By: Cheikh Darou Seck

Baby Malick was flown from Senegal to Italy for a life-saving heart operation by surgeon Federica Iezzi through the nonprofit One Life Onlus.

Abdul Satter Edhi

By: Hasan Tariq

Abdul Satter Edhi was a Pakistani humanitarian and philanthropist who founded the Edhi Foundation, a social welfare program that crosses religious barriers.

Avoiding the Coronavirus as a Student

By: Skyler Gallarzan

Students returning to campus in 2020 must take precautions to protect themselves from COVID-19.

Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert

By: Emma Navajas

Fabiola Cabeza de Baca Gilbert made tremendous advancements in food safety in the American Southwest.

Marcus Samuelsson

By: Jane Wallace from New York

Marcus Samuelsson is an Ethiopian-born, Swedish-raised chef and restaurant owner who focuses on the food needs of the world.

Jonas Salk

By: St George Thompson

All Lives Should Have Equal Value

By: Ryan fredrickson

Goal #4 Quality Education: Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning

Activist Mohamed Sidibay - Education for All

By: Betty Bailey

Global education activist and former child soldier Mohamed Sidibay has dedicated his life to education for all.

Ruby Nell Bridges

By: Madison

One of the most important heroes in the fight against segregation in America was a six-year-old girl, Ruby Nell Bridges.

Salman (Sal) Khan

By: Suha Memon

Salman Khan created Khan Academy, a free online educational platform.

Erin Gruwell

By: Annie Merkley

Erin Gruwell continues to inspire educators and students around the world with her compassion and wisdom.

Viola Vaughn

By: Brande from Spokane

Viola Vaughn founded an organization that supports girls working to achieve academic success in Africa.

Vicky Colbert de Arboleda

By: Anthea Milnes from Oxford

Vicky Colbert de Arboleda works to provide equal access to all children in Colombia.

Betty Morgan

By: Robert Shetterly

John Hunter

By: Robert Shetterly

Freedom Writers: Stories From an Undeclared War [Trailer]

Produced by:Freedom Writers Foundation

Inspired by their teacher, Erin Gruwell, and the writings of Anne Frank, the students discover a new way to express themselves.

Goal #5 Gender Equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls

Bianca Valenti

By: Shannon Luders-Manuel

Bianca Valenti is a professional surfer and a co-founder of the Committee for Equity in Women's Surfing.

2019 MY HERO Global Educator Award Winner Melinda Gates

By: Betty Bailey

Melinda Gates' women heroes in Africa and India teach her how to uplift the women in their communities through the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Emma Watson

By: Maryn Imus

Emma Watson is an English actress who created the HeForShe campaign, which encourages both men and women to fight for gender equality.

Malala Yousafzai

By: Jane Wallace

Malala Yousafzai speaks out for the rights of girls to have an education.

Fadela Amara

By: Lucille from France

Fadela Amara is recognized throughout France as a champion of women's rights.

Hazviperi Betty Makoni

By: Wendy Jewell

Hazviperi Betty Makoni founded the Girl Child Network to transform lives.

Pedal = Sight by Armene Modi

By: Amanda Molinaro

Armene Modi is a film director who has focused on adult women and literacy in Sone Sangvi. (Text with audio link story)

Pedal=Sight

Produced by:Jacob & Isaac Seigel-Boettner

Film: An Indian girl gains a bicycle, and the will to achieve.

Malala

By: Marilyn Huerta

Alice Paul

By: Robert Shetterly

Nepali Woman and Her Goat

By: Robin Wethe Altman

Goal #6 Clean Water and Sanitation: Ensure access to water and sanitation for all

Shomy Hasan Chowdhury

By: Dorothy Lie

Shomy Hasan Chowdhury created the WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) organization, for which she received an Diana Award, to combat deadly diarrhea in underserved communities.

Ryan Hreljac

By: Wendy Jewell

Ryan Hreljac helps build wells for clean water in Africa.

Jack Sim

By: <br>Copyright <a href="http://www.newsforkids.com.sg/"target="blank">NEWS FO...

Jack Sim has started a worldwide campaign for clean public toilets and better sanitation standards.

Fin Donnelly

By: Jenny Kim

Fin Donnelly works to keep our rivers and waters clean.

Jon Rose

By: David Kelly

Jon Rose founded Waves for Water, which works on the front-line to provide clean water.

Water is Life

By: The Art Miles Mural Project

The Living Water Garden

By: Betsy Damon

The Seawater Greenhouse

By: Claudia Hudson

The Seawater Greenhouse transforms seawater into drinking water.

Josue and Chrismedonne Lajeunesse

By: David Kelly

Josue and Chrismedonne Lajeunesse work together to provide access to clean water for their village of La Source, Haiti.

La Source [Trailer]

Produced by:Patrick Shen

Where water runs, life flows.

Environment - Life in the Clean Water and Air

By: Yasutomikita Elementary School in Japan and W.H. Day Elementary School in Ca...

Goal #7 Affordable and Clean Energy: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all

William Kamkwamba

By: Dorothy Lie

William Kamkwamba is a Malawian engineer, TED speaker, and memoirist who built his first windmill from junkyard scraps to help his struggling family farm.

Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man

By: Wendy Jewell

Paul Munsen Solar Oven Man manufactures sun ovens, which harness the sun's rays to provide an environmentally safe source of energy.

Sandra Begay-Campbell

By: Sue from California

Sandra Begay-Campbell is a Native American engineer who brings solar-powered energy to the Navajo reservation.

The Secret of Trees

Produced by:Albert Maysles

What do trees know that we don't? 13-year-old inventor Aiden set out to find out.

Goal #8 Decent Work and Economic Growth: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all

Internet.org Everyone of us. Everywhere. Connected.

By: Wendy Jewell

Internet.org Everyone of us. Everywhere. Connected. launched to provide internet access to the two thirds of people around the world who are not connected.

Samuel Mockbee

By: Jennifer Beck

Samuel Mockbee was an architect in Alabama and the cofounder of the Auburn University Rural Studio program.

Efren Penaflorida

By: Amanda Molinaro

Efren Penaflorida helped create Dynamic Teen Company.

Lateefah Simon

By: Robert Shetterly

Tim Berners-Lee

By: James from Sydney
Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web.

Louis Studs Terkel

By: Robert Shetterly

Leila Janah helps people in the developing world find work – near home

By: Carolyn Abate <br> Contributor of <br>The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>...

Leila Janah's Samasource breaks down complicated data-processing projects into small steps that can be done remotely on PCs in countries like Ghana, Uganda, and Haiti.

Goal #9 Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation

Quinn Callander

By: Shanelle Felipe

Quinn Callander is a 13-year-old who invented protective gear for face masks, helping healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Simon Velez

By: David Kemker from The My Hero Project

Simon Velez is a prize-winning architect who uses sustainable materials.

Dean Kamen

By: Claudia Hudson

"...to create a world where science and technology are celebrated...where young people dream of becoming science and technology heroes."

Engineers Without Borders

Engineers Without Borders is working to change the world.

Life of Steve Jobs

By: Ryan Walderman from Toronto

Nikola Tesla - Inventor

By: Dr. Ljubo Vujovic

Goal #10 Reduced Inequalities: Reduce inequality within and among countries

Muhammad Yunus

By: Alexander from San Diego

Muhammad Yunus developed micro banking for poor entreprenuers.

Bunker Roy

By: Anthea Milnes from Oxford

Bunker Roy has dedicated his life to improving the lives of the rural poor in India.

Dave Valle plays on a new field: microloans that help to end poverty

By: Gail Wood<br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Permissio...

Ramani Sankaranarayanan and Geeta Vaidyanathan

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson

Ramani Sankaranarayanan and Geeta Vaidyanathan founded CTxGrEn to show villagers how to turn native materials into fuel for electricity.

The Global Refugee Mural

By: Joel Bergner

Goal #11 Sustainable Cities and Communities: Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable

Words Have Power

Produced by:Lynne Cherry

10-year-old Jaysa rallies the community with her speeches about how the power plant causes asthma and “so much suffering.” When they succeed in shutting down the plant, Jaysa concludes that “words have power.”

Cameron Sinclair

By: David Kemker

Cameron Sinclair is the founder of Architecture for Humanity, which brings services to communities in need.

Camila-Batmanghelidjh: Giving London street kids - even teen gang members - a safe (and colorful) home

By: Sian Griffiths <br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Per...
Camila Batmanghelidjh founded Kids Company to help children – and now helps troubled teens. who often get little sympathy since the London riots.

Angela Brooks

By: Susannah Abbey

Angela Brooks is an architect who works to create sustainable and affordable housing.

Millard and Linda Fuller

By: Karen Pritzker

Millard and Linda Fuller founded Habitat for Humanity.

Goal #12 Responsible Consumption and Production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns

Frances Moore Lappé (Lappe)

By: Rosemary Pritzker

Hero Frances Moore Lappe is a passionate and pioneering thinker and activist who fights world hunger.

Sanoussi Diakite

Sanoussi Diakite has aided starvation in Africa through a user-friendly invention.

Wes Jackson

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson

Wes Jackson was a professor who returned to the land to advance sustainable agriculture practices.

Diane Wilson

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal #13 Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts

Kenji Williams - Founder & Director of Bella Gaia - in Conversation with The MY HERO Project

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project

Kenji Williams creates music and films that celebrate the earth from the perspective of space.

David T. Suzuki

By: Anthony from Edmonton

David T. Suzuki has been teaching the public about the science of environmentalism for many years.

Greta Thunberg

By: Xenia Shin

Climate Activist and Leader of the Global Youth Climate Movement

An Inconvenient Youth - Cancun

Produced by:Slater Jewell-Kemker

Youth activists are exasperated by a lack of action from world leaders regarding climate change.

Slater Jewell-Kemker, Director, An Inconvenient Youth

By: The My Hero Project

Slater Jewell-Kemker is an award-winning student reporter and filmmaker who works for a better environment and for peace. 

David Suzuki

By: Laila from Calgary

Slater Unstoppable

Produced by:MY HERO

Director Slater Jewell Kemker is a filmmaker and environmental activist whose films document the environmental youth movement.

Bill McKibben

By: Robert Shetterly

Goal #14 Life Below Water: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources

Jacques Cousteau

By: Jeff Trussell

Jacques Cousteau pioneered marine conservation, underwater sea explorer, born 1910

Nancy Caruso

By: Anabelle Vo

Nancy Caruso is a marine biologist who helped bring kelp forests back to the California coast.

Sylvia Earle

By: Edward Ortiz

"The key is to see ourselves as a part of the natural systems that support us."

MacGillivray Family

MacGillivray Family founded the non-profit MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation.

Reef Ball Foundation

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson

Reef Ball Foundation restores damaged coral reef systems around the world.

Jacques-Yves Cousteau

By: Tim Shay

The Last Straw

Lynne Cherry

Nine-year-old Milo Cress is concerned about the millions of straws that pollute waterways, waste fossil-fuel resource and harm ocean creatures. He convinces restaurants to “go straw free.”

Ocean/ Environmental Mural 2015

By: Ritchie King

Slater Jewell-Kemker's Journey

Producer: Jeanne Meyers
Slater is an environmental activist who uses film-making as her tool. She was inspired and empowered to make a difference growing up with the MY HERO Project.

Defending The Deep

Will Parrinello

Claire Nouvian led a campaign against the destructive fishing practice of deep-sea bottom trawling. (running time 5:39 min)

Series of Solutions: Restoring Coral Reefs

Produced by:Center for Ocean Solutions & Conservation Media Group

Series of Solutions explores the heroes who are working on tangible solutions for ocean conservation.

Help Mary Save Coral

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine

Help Mary Save Coral works to repopulate the world's coral.

Help Mary Save Coral

Produced by:Miranda Andersen from CANADA

One woman's effort to save the world's underrated natural resource, coral. (running time 10:58 min)

Ending Overfishing

Produced by:Produced by: / Directed by: Uli Henrik Streckenbach

Overfishing is a human-made threat to our world's oceans and requires immediate action. (Running time 4:11 minutes)

The Arctic Garden

Produced by:Will Parinello/Tom Dusenberry

Caroline Cannon, an Inupiat indigenous leader, takes aim at offshore oil drilling that threatens her people and the biodiversity in the Arctic Sea.

Plastic Plague

Produced by:Jody Lemmon

Plastic pollution is threatening the ocean's ecosystems, but we can work together to prevent further damage!

Sylvia Earle

By: Ben Macedo

A Tribute to Sylvia Earle

Producer: One World One Ocean

A tribute to oceanographer Sylvia Earle from One World One Ocean (4:35 minutes)

The View Through My Mask

Produced by:Richard Morris

Experience the Ocean through the mask of Dr. Sylvia Earle.        (7:17 minutes)

Sylvia Earle

By: Daniel from San Diego

Sylvia Earle shows us the ocean's fate can be controlled, whether we make the decision to stop abusing its waters and let the ocean make a recovery.

World Oceans Day Teacher Lesson Plan

By: Laura Nietzer

Celebrate our world's shared oceans and our personal connection to the sea, as well as raise awareness about the crucial role the ocean plays in our lives and the important ways people can help protect it.

Goal #15 Life on Land: Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss

Wangari Maathai

By: Frances Moore Lappe

Wangari Maathai was an environmental activist and Nobel laureate who founded the Green Belt movement.

International Day for Biological Diversity | May 22

By: Becky Miller

To raise awareness of the importance of biodiversity and issues related to the variety of life on the planet, in different ecosystems and species.

Dr. Vandana Shiva

By: David Kemker

Dr. Vandana Shiva works to preserve biodiversity for the planet.

Dr. John Todd: A Sewer Becomes a Water Park

By: Karen Charman ©2004-05 YES!<br>Used with permission from YES! magazine.<br><...
Dr. John Todd: A Sewer Becomes a Water Park with floating botanical gardens that are helping restore ecological health.

Chico Mendes

By: Jeff Trussell

Chico Mendes died a martyr defending the rainforests.

Tribute to a Hero - Wangari Maathai - Kenya

By: Linda Gallagher

Goal #16 Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies

Bryan Stevenson

By: Arthur (Trey) Carlisle

Nelson Mandela

By: Jeff Trussell

Nelson Mandela was a peacemaker and a freedom hero.

Liu Xiaobo

By: Kevin from San Diego

Liu Xiaobo is a Nobel Prize-winning human rights activist.

Womens Peace Movement of Liberia

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine

Womens Peace Movement of Liberia stopped the violence in through peaceful means.

Frame by Frame [Trailer]

Producer: Mo Scarpelli, Alexandria Bombach

After decades of war and an oppressive Taliban regime, four Afghan photojournalists face the realities of building a free press in a country left to stand on its own -- reframing Afghanistan for the world and for themselves.

Mandela

By: Giordano Aita

Desmond Tutu

Desmond Tutu worked to end apartheid in South Africa and encourages forgiveness.

Desmond Tutu

Ron Kovic, 2014

By: Robert Shetterly

Defying Death in South Sudan

Producer: Francis Mead

Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo.

Project Syria: An immersive Journalism Experience

Producer: Nonny de la Peña

Nearly one half of Syria’s 23 million people have been displaced in its civil war and no group has been as severely affected as children. 

Goal #17 Partners for the Goals: Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development

Kofi Annan

By: Jerrilyn Jacobs

Kofi Annan is an honored freedom and peacemaker hero.

Pope Francis

Pope Francis cares for the poor and works for peace.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf

By: Rebecca Miller

"During the years of our civil war, they [women] bore the brunt of inhumanity and terror... Yet, it is the women who laboured and advocated for peace throughout our region."

Kofi Annan - Hero

By: Derek Little

Pope Francis with Art Miles "Mural of Hope for the Pope"

By: Art Miles Mural Project Master Muralist Cecelia Linayo and student artists

Stories with Text and Audio so Students can Listen as They Read Along: Great for ESL/ELL Students

MY HERO UN Sustainable Development Goals Resources for ESL/ELL Students

By: Laura Nietzer

MY HERO stories with text and audio allowing students the ability to listen as they read along about activists working towards solutions.

For Additional Resources and Lesson Plans, Go to the MY HERO Lesson Plan Center

Lesson Plan Center

Laura Nietzer

This Sustainable Development Goal resource was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

How to use MY HERO's Create Program to Publish Stories, Art, Film and Audio for Students

Tutorial for students: Publish written stories, film, original artwork and audio in MY HERO's multimedia library.

Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Organizer created on 12/17/2019 4:37:44 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 10/15/2020 3:54:29 PM by Shannon Luders-Manuel