Jacques Plante

by Tommy St.louis from Long Sault, Ontario in Canada

How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?

Jacques Plante is one of the greatest goalies of all time. He is also the creator of the goalie mask. With his still of play he changed the art of goaltending in the NHL. 

143589Jacques planteUnknown author, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons 

He was born on January 17, 1929 in Mauricie,Quebec. After he was born they moved to Shawinigan and he started playing hockey at 15. He played in the NHL for 18 years, and in the span of 18 years he has played for 6 teams: the Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers, St. Louis Blues, the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and the Edmonton Oilers. He has won 6 Stanley cups and 6 vezna trophies, and he is the first to win the vezna trophy as a goalie. He was also inducted into the hall of fame in 1978. 

Jacques Plante is my hero because he played for my favorite team, the Montreal Canadiens, and also because he has changed the game for the goalie. He created the goalie mask, and also he's the first goalie to go behind the net to stop the puck for his defensemen. I am a goalie and I get hit in the head a lot, and I'm really glad to have something to protect my face from all the hard shots that I get from my teammates in practice.

Jacques Plante inspires me to evolve the game of hockey for the future and to show and teach people the game of hockey, and one day to have hockey as the number one sport in the world.

In conclusion Jacques Plante has inspired lots of people in this world to play the sport of hockey and made people try to evolve the sport, and that's my definition of a hero, to make the future better.