Jameela Jamil

by Katheryn Calogero from Henrietta, New York in United States

Dear Jameela Jamil,

Thank you so much for being the positive influence that you are. Your work is important, influential, and meaningful to so many. The way you use your platform for good and to promote change in the world is absolutely inspiring. You are never one to shy away from a subject or to not talk about something because it is controversial and I think that it’s so important for people to see these things being discussed so that they can know what's going on and see into the problems. 

Your work in fighting for body positivity and showing women they are more than what they weigh is so important in today's society. Body-shaming and fat-shaming are two things that have increased in today's world. People are constantly tearing women down because of the way the look and the amount they weigh. Your “I Weigh” campaign has been life changing to so many women. You have helped so many women become more confident in themselves and how they look. Because of your work, people aren't afraid to wear whatever they want to wear, or eat whatever they want to eat without feeling shame, you have helped them become much happier in their lives. 

Your work in de-stigmatizing, asking and receiving the help you need, and working to reform mental health care, has also been very meaningful. As someone who has dealt with mental health problems and struggled to get help, it’s important to see others, especially those in your place promoting it. When regular people like myself see people who are well-known and successful and powerful talking about their stories, and how they have dealt with mental health issues and gotten help, it normalizes the situation more and we become less ashamed of what we have to deal with and more willing to get help for it. It is also extremely important that you are working to reform the system so that those who can’t afford to get the help they need can.

In today's world we need more people like you. People who are honest no matter what the cost, people who don’t shy away from subjects because they may be controversial, people who use their platform for good and help others. You are truly an inspiration to so many. You're teaching others how to get more involved in issues and how they can help others. You take your past experiences, no matter how hard they may have been, and use them to help others. You are working to make the world a better place. You are working to get rid of judgment in society and letting people just live their lives how they want to live it and being happy with themselves. So thank you for that, thank you for all the work you have done, because it is truly meaningful and amazing. You have honestly helped more people than you could ever know. 

Sincerely, Katheryn Calogero