Jameela Jamil

by Katheryn Calogero from Henrietta, New York in United States

Jameela Jamil is a 33-year-old actress, radio presenter, model, writer, and activist. She was born February 25, 1986 in Hampstead, London, United Kingdom. She was discovered at the age of 22 while teaching English in London. Her first job in the media was as a main host on T4, the UK's leading youth entertainment show, where she made a name for herself. She then started writing for Cosmopolitan magazine and Huffington Post. She soon became the face of Maybelline and Nails Inc. In 2012 she released her own clothing line. Later that year she was recruited by BBC Radio 1 to host her own show on the network. In 2013 she became the first woman in 60 years on air to host the official chart on the esteemed radio station. In 2015 she moved to the U.S. to start a writing career. She was told that she was “Too old, fat, and ethnic” to move to America. Soon after she arrived, with no prior acting experience, she landed a part on “The Good Place.” In 2019 she started the “I Weigh” movement. Jameela Jamil struggled with an eating disorder at an early age; it started after she had to be weighed in front of her math class for an assignment and found out she was the heaviest girl in her year. This caused her to develop unhealthy eating habits and body dysmorphia at a young age, which developed into full-blown anorexia. She recalled not eating a full meal between the ages of 14 and 17. She is using her experience to help others. She started the “I Weigh” movement to create a space where women can talk about achievements instead of focusing on weight. She is tired of a woman's worth being measured by their weight and is working to change that. She created an Instagram for women to share their pictures and stories. Her mission is to help women see that their worth goes far beyond their weight. She is a huge activist for body positivity and refuses to be airbrushed in magazines because she wants people to see her for what she really is in order to help build others’ confidence in knowing there is no shame in having flaws. She is also a huge activist for mental health and de-stigmatizing asking for help. She admitted to trying to take her own life six years ago and being grateful that she survived. She stated that getting therapy was the best choice she could have made. She wants others to know that there is no shame in asking for help and getting the proper help you need. She also acknowledges that not everyone can afford to get the help that they may need, so she is also working to reform the cost of mental health care so it is more affordable. She believes that nobody is born “woke” and focuses on progress not perfection. She wants to help teach others how they can get involved and help in the world. She supports many charities that involve ending poverty, educating children, getting young people's lives on track, supporting the LGBTQ community, and supporting those with cancer. She is working to create a community with no judgement. 

Jameela Jamil has touched me personally by showing me that there is no shame in being myself and that I don’t need to be who everyone else wants me to be. I don’t have to be perfect or look perfect. I can struggle with things, and have flaws, and that's ok. I hope my letter to her will show her how much of an impact she has had on me life and on the lives of many others. Hopefully, Jameela will see how much is needed, loved, and valued, and my letter will spur her to continue the amazing work she is doing in the world.