This is a letter to Jane Doe Tara, a true hero.  I am not sure what her real name is but she is referred to as Jane Doe in the newspapers.  I wrote this piece almost two years ago.  Later in 2018, I remember seeing a video of Serena Williams, another hero of mine, after she lost the US Open.  In reference to her misogynistic and unfair tennis fines, she said, maybe because I spoke up, it will be better for the next person.  I want to recognize Jane Doe Tara for her bravery, like that of Serena Williams.  Despite not even being an adolescent, she spoke up against the severe wrong doings of her caretakers.  I know these examples are not similar in circumstances, but they are similar in strength, guts and self-love.  So, last week, when Serena Williams asked 'who is your hero?', she inspired me to share this piece of writing.

Jane Doe Tara

by Linda King-Byrnes from Bay Area, CA

Dear Jane Doe Tara,

I read about you in April 2018, when you were just 12 years old. I had a rare spare ten minutes to pick up a discarded paper before collecting my kids from karate. On page three was a shocking headline: "Sole child survivor of torture describes last night with slain siblings." I picked up my head from this horrifying news. Did anyone else read this paper? Who else is enraged? I could not believe my eyes, so I had to read and reread the arresting details. What villain would ever do these lethal and hateful things to dependent children? Why does no one seem to care?

Your experience is surreal to most people. Your story is too difficult and satanic to actually believe. I wanted to learn more about your survival because my mom endured extreme conditions as a child, too. The intense anger I feel towards your caretakers churned my simmering grief into action. I realized I needed to channel this energy to advocate for children who have and are enduring similar suffering. I will make this my life’s work, in in the name of my mother and you. Thank you for being an incredible inspiration for motivation and purpose.

Against all odds and the goals of Tami Huntsman, your aunt, and Curiel Gonzalo, her boyfriend, you survived an ordeal that most people can’t read about: starved, punched, kicked, broken bones, choked, stripped, neglected, death. At 9-years-old, you lived to tell of how you endured many months of repetitive and brutal abuse when your younger siblings, 5 and 3, perished right next to you. I am struck by your raw strength. You faced your abusers in a scary process of law in Salinas, CA. You followed through with prosecuting your siblings' murderers. You acted out of willful love to keep Shaun and Delylah’s memories alive. You have the intelligence and fortitude to do what is right--to speak up for the voiceless. You and your siblings, Rest in Peace, deserve this justice. I wonder if it’s your mother and siblings guiding you from above. Whatever the reason, you LIVE! I pray you have found safety, comfort and a full belly. You deserve love and protection, and I hope you have found that, too.                                                                                             

What is most impressive to me is your ability to forgive your foster mom/mother's sister and even Gonzo. You stated there is no benefit to hold onto all that anger. You have decided to trust, again, despite enduring such cruelty via human hands. I know you don't know me, but you have inspired me infinitely. When I despair, I think of what you endured and how you handled it. You have shown me there is always hope and that the human condition can recover and endure. Your life shines so brilliantly to me. You are my hero.

Linda King-Byrnes

Hillsborough, CA

Serena Williams Fined $17,000 After U.S. Open Referee Controversy - This link explains what happened how Serena Williams was fined by referee Carlos Ramos
Sole survivor of torture describes last night with slain siblings - This link describes what happened to Jane Doe Tara for over six months.

Dunn Szy, Mary. The People verses Gonzalo Curiel Jr.. Voices of Monterey Bay.2018. 8/19/18

Williams, Serena. Serena Williams Poses Unretouched for Harper's BAZAAR. Harpers Bizaar.2019.