Filmmaker

Janet Yang

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Yang has been named one of the “50 Most Powerful Women in Hollywood” - The Hollywood Reporter

Janet Yang, born on July 13, 1956, in Queens, New York, is a celebrated American film producer whose career spans decades and has had a significant impact on Hollywood and beyond. Known for her work on award-winning films like The Joy Luck Club, The People vs. Larry Flynt, and Over the Moon, In 2022, she became the first Asian American President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, reinforcing her position as a leading advocate for inclusivity in Hollywood.

Early Life and Education

Yang's journey began in Queens, where she was raised in a Chinese American household. She attended Phillips Exeter Academy before enrolling at Brown University, where she majored in Chinese Studies. Afterward, she pursued an MBA at Columbia University.

Career

Early Yang revitalized World Entertainment in San Francisco, transforming it from a small distributor into a significant player with exclusive representation rights for Chinese films in North America. One of her first major projects was serving as Steven Spielberg's liaison with China during the production of Empire of the Sun. This role required delicate negotiation with both national and local levels of the Chinese government.

As President of Ixtlan, a production company she co-founded with Academy Award-winning director Oliver Stone, Yang produced the critically acclaimed film The People vs. Larry Flynt, which earned Golden Globe Awards and Academy Award nominations. During this time, she also executive produced the groundbreaking film The Joy Luck Club, a pioneering work that showcased Asian American stories.

After her tenure at Ixtlan, Yang formed the Manifest Film Company with Lisa Henson, where she continued to produce notable films, including High Crimes, The Weight of Water, Zero Effect, and Savior. Her collaboration with Chen Shi-Zheng on *Dark Matter* led to critical acclaim and the Alfred P. Sloan Prize at the Sundance Film Festival. In 2020, Yang produced *Over the Moon*, an Academy Award-nominated animated feature for Netflix.

Among her many other credits are: the Sundance award-winning Dark Matter with Meryl Streep; The Weight of Water (Lionsgate) directed by Academy Award winner Kathryn Bigelow with Academy award winner Sean Penn; Fox’s High Crimes with Morgan Freeman; a Chinese adaptation of the acclaimed Disney franchise High School Musical; cult favorites Zero Effect, by Jake Kasdan, and Shanghai Calling with China Film Group.

168357Janet YangJanet YangLeadership and Community Engagement

In 2022, Yang was elected President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, becoming the first Asian American to hold the position. As President, she champions diversity and inclusion in the film industry and works to ensure that the Academy reflects the multicultural world it serves.

Committed to fostering global understanding, Yang is a co-founder of Gold House, the non-profit collective of influential Asian cultural leaders; a long-standing member of the Committee of 100, an organization of the most prominent Chinese-Americans; and an advisory board member of Asia Society Southern California where she also chairs its highly regarded US-Asia Entertainment Summit.

A Legacy of Representation and Diversity

Chinese film YELLOW EARTH gave Janet Yang the courage to believe that the Western world would also relish this work, which led to Yang beginning her career by running the first distribution company to market Chinese films into North America. She also brokered the reintroduction of American cinema to the Chinese marketplace on behalf of several studios after a decades-long hiatus.

Yang's career serves as an inspiration to aspiring filmmakers and industry leaders who seek to break barriers and champion diversity. Her work has not only brought unique stories to the screen but has also paved the way for greater representation in Hollywood. As President of the Academy, Yang continues to be a powerful advocate for change, ensuring that the voices of underrepresented groups are heard and celebrated. Through her leadership and vision, she is helping to shape a more inclusive future for the entertainment industry and beyond.

Janet Yang Offical Site - Award-Winning Hollywood Producer, President of the Motion Picture Academy of Arts & Sciences, Leader in the AAPI Community