Lance Matsushita

by Vincent H. Okamoto, Rafu Shimpo writer from Los Angeles, CA

Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount-- Clare Booth Luce
Lance, in uniform, and with his beloved family

Lance Matsushita was a quiet and unassuming man. Most people knew him as an educator and coach, never realizing that he was a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War, where he served wih the Special Forces (the Green Berets) as a medic.

He also led a "Mike Force," or Mobile Strike Force counter-guerrilla unit composed of Montagnard hill tribesmen conducting highly hazardous missions along the Demilitarized Zone and the Laotian border in 1969-1970.

Lance was not a danger-junkie, or a war lover. He volunteered to go to Vietnam because he thought it was his duty as an American. Although he saw a lot of combat, he was not embittered by his wartime experiences, but learned from them and became a better person - more compassionate, more patient, more loving.

After Vietnam, he returned to civilian life and completed his education, graduating from Whittier College, and became an educator, teaching biology at Garfield High School and also coaching football. He married Sharleen, and the couple had two children, daughter Army, 10-year-old, and son Timothy, age 8.

In his spare time, Lance participated in the Visions For Keiro support group, and the Japanese American Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial Committee, and was instrumental in organizing the first-ever reunion of Japanese American Vietnam veterans. For years, he represented the Vietnam veterans at the annual Memorial Day services at Evergreen Cemetary.

On April 26, 1999, Lance died in his sleep. He was 55-years-old. The Garfield High School football team turned out wearing their jerseys and formed an honor guard at his funeral to show their respect and affection.

Lance's military record was impressive - paratrooper, Green Beret sergent and decorated combat veteran of the Vietnam War. But of all his accomplishments he was most proud of his family. And I think that rather being known as a warrior, he would have preferred to be remembered as a devoted husband, and loving father.

To me, he was a hero and a loyal friend. He will be missed.

Vince H. Okamoto, an attorney in Torrance, is a fellow Vietam War veteran. The opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the views of The Rafu Shimpo. (Originally published on Aug. 23, 1999)