Jeffrey Colvin

by Robin Jones - High School - from Liberty, Missouri in United States

Klynn Scales was once a young girl living with her two brothers, a drug-addicted mother, and a rapist and abusive mom's boyfriend. Klynn lived a hard childhood; she was constantly abused sexually, physically, and mentally, as well as never fed. She had to steal from the 7-Eleven down the street, just to feed her brothers. This 9-year-old girl was visited every day by a police officer, whose name she did not remember. He would bring her and her bothers candy, he would just check in on her and see how she was, and he would do so every day.

One day, while the officer was patrolling east Kansas City, he heard Klynn's address over the radio, followed by a children's division call. The officer remembered his pinky-promise to Klynn to always check-in, and he did so. When the officer found her, Klynn was weak, pale, and immediately rushed to the hospital with a severe case of malnutrition. Klynn's case was almost fatal, but luckily she arrived at the hospital soon enough to save her life. After she was rescued, Klynn and her brothers were placed in state custody.

In late 2015, Klynn, now living in Galveston, Texas, contacted the Kansas City Police Department in hopes of finding her childhood savior. It was a stretch, but Sergeant Jennifer Jones sent out a mass email to maybe, just maybe find the man who saved that little girl and her brothers' life all those years ago. Sergeant Jones tracked down the man, and she found him! His name was Officer Jeffrey Colvin, and he said he remembered her as soon as he heard of the search.

“Sometimes you go through your whole entire career not thinking that you really made a difference,” Scales said. “Then here I am. I come into his life.” Mr. Colvin is definitely my hero, just like he is the hero of Klynn Scales and her two brothers. Mr. Colvin attended Klynn's recruitment graduation, as did Sgt. Jennifer Jones. Now, Officer Scales has a young son, a steady police job, and the memory of her childhood hero who saved her and gave her the strength and life she has now. “I really believe that people are placed into your life for a reason,” Scales said.

Officer Scales recently met a paramedic who was also saved by a personal hero, and the two teamed up and made a non-profit to encourage young underprivileged kids who have been abused, neglected or overlooked to overcome and become successful. Officer Klynn Scales is an amazing person who overcame so much to get where she is now, but Officer Jeffrey Colvin saved her life so that she could do so. For this reason, he will always be an unsung hero.

A Promise Kept: Rescued Girl Becomes Police Officer - By Emily Rittman News Reporter