Visual Artist

Jennifer Garner

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Jennifer Anne Garner was born on April 17, 1972, in Houston, Texas. She is an accomplished American actress and philanthropist.

Early Life

Garner graduated from George Washington High School in Charleston before pursuing higher education. In 1990, she matriculated at Denison University in Granville, Ohio, where she initially pursued a major in chemistry before transitioning to theater. Throughout her time at Denison, she was an active member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority. Garner's passion for theater led her to further her studies at the National Theater Institute at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center in Waterford, Connecticut, during the fall semester of 1993. During summers while in college, she immersed herself in summer stock theatre work. In 1994, Garner completed her undergraduate studies, earning a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in theater performance.

Garner's journey into screen acting commenced with her debut in the television film adaptation of Danielle Steel's romance novel Zoya in 1995. Following this, she took on a starring role in the Fox teen drama series Time of Your Life (1999–2000), and delivered memorable supporting performances in notable films such as the war drama Pearl Harbor (2001) and the comedy-drama Catch Me If You Can (2002).

162480Jennifer GarnerWiki CommonsHowever, it was her portrayal of CIA officer Sydney Bristow in the ABC action thriller series Alias (2001–2006) that truly catapulted her to fame. Garner's remarkable performance earned her prestigious accolades including a Golden Globe Award and a SAG Award, along with four Primetime Emmy Award nominations. Beyond Alias, she showcased her versatility in a range of genres, starring in romantic comedies like 13 Going on 30 (2004), Juno (2007), Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009), and Valentine's Day (2010). Additionally, she left a lasting impression with her portrayal of Elektra in the superhero films Daredevil (2003) and Elektra (2005).

Beyond mainstream cinema, Garner has ventured into independent films, notably appearing in the biographical drama Dallas Buyers Club (2013), as well as family comedies like Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014), Love, Simon (2018), and Yes Day (2021). Her versatility extended to action films such as Peppermint (2018) and The Adam Project (2022), as well as the Apple TV+ limited series The Last Thing He Told Me (2023).

Activism 

In addition to her acting career, Garner is deeply committed to various social causes. Since 2009, Jennifer Garner has been actively engaged as an artist ambassador for Save the Children USA, championing national literacy, nutrition, and early education initiatives. Joining the organization's board of trustees in 2014, Garner has fervently advocated for early childhood education. In her role, she frequently interacts with families participating in the Early Steps to School Success program, which empowers families to facilitate their children's learning during the formative years.

In 2011, Garner collaborated with Frigidaire as part of her commitment to Save the Children's cause. Notably, in 2013, she attended a Save the Children gala in New York with her eldest daughter, Violet, emphasizing the importance of instilling a sense of social responsibility in the younger generation. Additionally, Garner lent her support to the Invest in Us campaign in 2014 and appeared in the PBS documentary A Path Appears in 2015, shedding light on the challenges of rural poverty affecting children in West Virginia.

162481Jennifer GarnerWiki CommonsPolitical Engagement

Garner has also been involved in political endeavors. In 2002, she appeared in a television advertisement supporting her childhood friend Corey Palumbo, a Democratic candidate for the West Virginia House of Delegates. Throughout subsequent years, Garner demonstrated her political convictions by endorsing and fundraising for Democratic candidates, including hosting fundraisers for Barack Obama during the 2008 Democratic Primary and supporting Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign in 2016.

Advocacy Against Paparazzi Intrusion

Garner has been a vocal advocate for protecting children from paparazzi intrusion. In 2013, she testified before the California Assembly Judiciary Committee in support of legislation aimed at safeguarding celebrities' children from harassment by photographers. Her advocacy efforts led to the passing of a bill that prohibits behavior deemed harmful to children by paparazzi. Garner has continued to speak out against invasive paparazzi practices, supporting policies that shield celebrities' children from media scrutiny.

Entrepreneurship and Social Impact

In 2018, Garner co-founded Once Upon a Farm, an organic, fresh baby food company, alongside John Foraker. Serving as the company's chief brand officer, Garner has been instrumental in expanding its reach and impact. Notably, Once Upon a Farm became the first refrigerated baby food available to WIC-eligible families in 2019. Garner and her team at Once Upon a Farm, in collaboration with Save the Children, remain committed to providing 'A Million Meals' to children in food-insecure communities across America.

Garner is also a part of the ownership group of Angel City FC in the National Women's Soccer League, reflecting her dedication to promoting women's sports and empowering athletes.