Jody Steger

by Benjamin Steger from Colorado

My mom lived in a neighborhood in Michigan. She likes animals, gardens, and chocolate. A shaping experience is that her parents were divorced. My mom is a hero because she took in and is fostering 5 puppies and a mom dog who were strays; this summer, she went to help evacuate animals from the fires every day; and she organized a food-and-needs drive down in Littleton for people who needed help from a flood.

Sometime after Halloween, my mom saw a post on Facebook about some puppies and a momma dog that were strays needing a home. They were saved from being put down by an animal shelter but needed a foster home (someone to care for them until they were old enough to be adopted), so my mom volunteered. They chose us and the puppies lived in the basement. My mom was down there a lot taking care of them and cleaning up after them. Soon, we found out that one of the puppies had a virus that was deadly, so my mom did everything she could to keep it from spreading to the other puppies, but it still did. So far so good. This was heroic because she didn't have to take care of these puppies that cry every night and keep her up, but she did anyway.

The second act happened during the summer of 2020 when the COVID pandemic happened. There were big fires raging across America. In my state, Colorado, the fires were bad but didn't affect us directly. However, lots of people with farm animals were affected and the animals needed care. So, a nearby big rodeo place was taking them in and my mom was there a lot. I would always ask, “Where’s Mom,” and someone would reply that she was at the rodeo all of today. She went quite a few times and even offered to take some animals home.

Finally, there was also a flood in Northern Colorado and a lot of people lost their homes, so her ymaiden’s group (a service group) held a baking sale for fundraising. They also accepted donations of clothes and toys. They raised hundreds of dollars for people, and I remember that my mom was always baking and doing other things in our house. It was very busy for a while because my mom was the coordinator for all of it.

My mom is pretty cool and she did all those things. She is my hero and it was inspiring hearing about these things that weren't the biggest heroic acts, but the size doesn't matter. And she did all this without getting anything in return. She is racking up a list of good deeds and heroic acts. You, yourself are probably doing the same thing.  It always feels good to add to that list, so keep going!