Jonas Salk

by Vinny K from San Diego, California in United States

Vinny Krenz

Mrs. Philyaw

Honors HHE2

9 January 2020

Everyday Hero: Jonas Salk

Everyone has been affected by an illness in some way. Even though some people may have been touched by sickness only slightly, someone they love has been afflicted or lost. When diseases show up, we look up to those who have defeated them; these namesake heroes will be remembered forever. However different these heroes seem to be, they always have a few things in common. They keep pushing forward to a goal they consider inevitable, and never stop at the challenges that continually try to push them down. Heroes represent what a hero truly is: a person who does not strive for fame and glory, but strives for what needs to be done to help other people, never stopping and always moving towards a goal.

“Hope lies in dreams, in imagination, and in the courage of those who dare to make dreams into reality” (“Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote”). This was said by Jonas Salk, and is a principle he used countless times throughout his life. Jonas Salk was born on October 28, 1914 in East Harlem, New York. As a child, he greatly excelled in academics. After he graduated high school at the astonishing age of 15, he set out to college to become a lawyer. After taking some science classes out of curiosity, he switched fields and got his M.D. in 1939 (Reis). At this time, a terrible disease was sweeping across the nation, killing and paralyzing many people. The disease, polio, targeted mainly children and infants and paralyzed or even kills them. The nation was in a panic over this epidemic. Jonas Salk stepped up to this great problem and developed a 100% effective vaccine for polio, and saved thousands of lives. After curing polio, he continued to work and founded the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in San Diego, California. Sadly, Jonas Salk died at the age of 80 on June 23, 1995. Even though he has passed, he is remembered and honored today. Jonas Salk's life story drives us to achieve our dreams, influences us to conquer challenges, and gives us a standard for living as an everyday hero. 

138434Jonas SalkWikimedia CommonsThrough Jonas Salk’s greatest achievements, we learn that as long as you try your best, you will always reach your goals. This was shown when Dr. Salk finally achieved what he had been working for his whole career: a 100% effective polio vaccine in 1955 (“Salk Anti-Polio Vaccine.”). Salk pushed through countless battles, and at times felt frustrated. Using his commitment, we can learn that great things can happen, as long as you put your mind to it. The practicality of never slowing down is also presented when Salk founded a biological institute in San Diego to research treatment for influenza and AIDS (“Salk, Jonas Edward.”). Even though Salk had already developed a vaccine for polio, he kept moving forward to achieve even greater things. This dedication to goals proves that you must full send it, and gives an example of the success given. The requirement of dreams is displayed when Dr. Salk said, “I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams” (“Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote”). Everyone has some tough times, especially Jonas Salk. He got through those adversities by remembering what he was working for, his dreams. To reach our greatest ambitions, we must be dedicated to what we do, and never stop driving towards our dreams.

Jonas Salk’s dedication to overcoming his challenges pushes us to never quit. This was demonstrated when Salk rose from poverty, living in a “crowded, dirty, and crime ridden” house. Though this might seem difficult, young Salk stepped up and made academics catapault himself out of poverty (Reis). Focusing on his school throughout his childhood, Salk found something to hold on to. This issue is relatively common, and Jonas Salk’s experience can help inspire us to keep on working. This inspiration is expanded in Jonas Salk’s journal article when he explained how much of a challenge it is to develop a safe vaccine (Salk). He took great risks when surpassing this hazard, even injecting himself with the inoculation (Reis). The amount of courage and the confidence that takes is astonishing. This teaches us that great devotion must be present when trying to overcome difficulties. The difficulty of pushing through challenges is also shown when Salk got stuck in the process of creating the polio vaccine, by not being able to grow the virus. After trying many different approaches, Salk still did not succeed. Three other scientists, Enders, Weller, and Robbins, did succeed, however ("Jonas Salk"). Using the wonderful discovery from the other men, Jonas Salk was able to develop a cure. We can reflect upon this example to learn to get help from others if you need it to help get through your challenges. We all face adversities sometimes, and part of Dr. Salk’s story can help us defeat them. 

Using Jonas Salk’s work ethic and modesty, we can verify that he is a role model to look up to. This diligence is displayed when Dr. Salk was working as hard as he could, working “sixteen to eighteen hours a day, six days a week” ("Jonas Salk."). This demonstrates that if you want to achieve a goal, you can not just sit back - you have to work for it; this provides a crucial work ethic that everyone must live by. Another reason we should look up to Jonas Salk as a role model is explained in the following quote: "I don't want to go from one crest to another," Salk said. "To a scientist, fame is neither an end nor even a means to an end. Do you recall what Emerson said?--' The reward of a thing well done is the opportunity to do more'” (World of Biology). Jonas Salk did not want the fame and said that curing polio was just what needed to be done. This selflessness should be looked up to and re-enacted by us. These qualities of Jonas Salk truly make him an everyday hero.

Throughout his life, Jonas Salk had several great accomplishments; he achieved them by pushing through countless challenges, and choosing the kind of actions that all of us should model. His story encourages us to keep on going, and to never stop. One thing is certain: Jonas Salk is a role model that we should all look up to. He rose from poverty, never letting it stop him. He developed a polio vaccine, saving thousands of lives. He did not enjoy the fame that came with it; he stated that it needed to be done. If everybody followed the types of actions Jonas Salk demonstrated, we would accomplish many things and make the world a better place. Throughout our lifetimes, deadly diseases will show up. Whoever will cure those diseases, these namesake heroes, must show these traits. Everyone has nightmares, but those who focus on their dreams will overcome them. 

“Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote.” BrainyQuote, Xplore, brainyquote.com/.

"Jonas Salk." Notable Scientists from 1900 to the Present, edited by Brigham Narins, Gale, 2008. Gale In Context: Biography, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/K1619002632/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=960f3652. A

Reis, Ronald A. Jonas Salk, Microbiologist. Ferguson, 2006.

“Salk Anti-Polio Vaccine.” Salk Anti-Polio Vaccine, Aug. 2017, p. 1. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=khh&AN=21213274&site=ehost-live.

“Salk, Jonas Edward.” Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, Jan. 2018, p. 1; EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=funk&AN=sa022700&site=ehost-live.

"Studies in Human Subjects on Active Immunization against Poliomyelitis." American Decades Primary Sources, edited by Cynthia Rose, vol. 6: 1950-1959, Gale, 2004, pp. 466-471. Gale In Context: Biography, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/CX3490201170/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=8095fcba.

Works Consulted

"Jonas Salk Develops the Polio Vaccine." Thought Equity Motion Collections, 2010. Gale In Context: Biography, https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/PC4295840442/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=2f39b3d8. A