Kedaton Campbell is the High School Winner of the 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Echoes of War, a music video, by Kedaton Campbell has been selected as the High School Honoree for the 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award in the MY HERO International Film Festival. Said the judges, “Echoes of War is a beautifully touching song with an important message.”

153216Echoes of WarKedaton Campbell

The Sing For Hope Music Video Award is a new award category at the MY HERO International Film Festival which is sponsored by Sing for Hope, a nonprofit organization that calls upon the power of music and the arts to uplift and inspire communities around the world. The award recognizes the outstanding contributions of songwriters, who use their creative talents to shed light on inspiring heroes — everyday citizens, remarkable acts of kindness, or individuals and communities who have overcome adversity through creative endeavors. Said Jeanne Meyers, Co-founder and Director of The MY HERO Project. “The addition of this new award provides more opportunity to amplify messages of hope and foster creativity,”

The prize is funded by Sing for Hope board member Eva Haller. Winners are chosen in both youth and professional categories. Recipients will share a $2,000 cash prize to further support their artistic endeavors. "I am so pleased about the relationship Sing for Hope is building with the MY HERO Project,” said Eva Haller, Sing for Hope Board Chair Emeritus. “I am thrilled, excited, and proud of both organizations."

MY HERO interviewed Kedaton about the song/video writing process:

153215KedatonKedaton Campbell

Why were you drawn to writing this song/making the video?

I was drawn to writing “Echoes of War” because I wished to commemorate the soldiers and people we lost to war, especially those who could not be identified and/or went missing in action. Hearing the stories of World War I and II told by the people I met while living in Normandy inspired me to pledge for peace and honor those who fought with their lives. These two devastating global conflicts had a profound impact on the world, and their echoes continue to resonate today. This song is an expression of my gratitude to our heroes and a self-reflection towards history. After all, we are fortunate to live in a time of relative peace and prosperity, so it is crucial for us to remember the sacrifices made by those who came before us to give us our freedom. While writing the lyrics, I hoped that my tribute, Echoes of War, could remind us that despite the darkness of history, there is always a chance for hope, unity, and a better future.

Was anyone else involved in producing the project?

The lyrics, musical accompaniment, and recording I did all independently. As a supplement to my creative exploration, I was very fortunate to have my parents around to discuss different ways that we can interpret history. We watched films, visited historical sites, went to many museums, and walked along the beaches of Normandy searching for inspiration for the lyrics and visuals of my song.

Why is the issue of war important to you? 

The issue of war is important to me because of its profound negative impact on people's lives. Every morning and evening, my dad and I took walks up and down the sands of Normandy – the historical site of the D-Day landings – and talked about how bravely our troops fought right where we stood decades ago. During the time we were there, I heard that a War in Ukraine broke out - which stirred a sense of urgency in me. Feeling concern and compassion for the citizens of Ukraine, I did what I could to bring light during such dim times with my voice and guitar. I have strong faith in using art as a force to drive positive change. Now with the recent turmoil in the Middle East, the words echo as loud as ever. 

Are there any other issues you feel passionate about?

Some other issues I feel passionate about include giving the children of the world a voice on conflicts, space exploration, gender equity in the field of STEM, and nature conservation. 

As a young ambassador for Never Such Innocence -- a UK-based charity, I share their goal of giving young people a voice on conflict and war. Every year, they hold an international competition, allowing thousands of children in more than 125 countries to express their thoughts, perspectives, and opinions on war. In 2018, I was awarded runners-up in their competition for my painting “Love, Peace, and Poppies”, and it changed my perspective on the importance of voicing my own beliefs. It inspired me to encourage other people my age to speak their thoughts on world conflict, which led to where I am today. I truly believe that these issues framed my personality and who I have become today and I am grateful for the privilege I have to be able to speak for what I believe in. 

Additionally, as a lifelong homeschooler and dual-enrollment student pursuing a Physics degree in community college, my curiosity of the universe is as strong as my passion for the arts. As humans, we cannot nearly begin to fathom the broadness of the cosmos, and I dream of contributing to the discovery of dark matter, dark energy, the origins of the universe, and the possibility of multiverses. 

I care deeply about the state of our planet and the science that we must learn from to prevent future generations from surviving on an Earth barren of nature. I believe that we can capture the world’s attention using art and speech to unite and fix the damage we caused to our planet - which is why I wrote my song “Ocean in Need” for the Bow Seat competition for Ocean awareness at 10 years old.

I am also passionate about rebuilding gender norms to inspire more young women to pursue a career in STEM from this generation forward. To contribute to the cause, I have teamed up with Dr. Jessica Wade, an incredible Physicist from the United Kingdom, to promote inspiring women in STEM through writing Wikipedia articles. The percentage of articles on Wikipedia written about female scientists is about 19.7% — and Dr. Wade’s mission is to increase that number and give these remarkable women the credit and limelight they deserve. 

I hope to connect all non-profit organizations I care about and promote their wonderful programs to the right audience. 

Here are some organizations I care about and consistently promote in my community: www.neversuchinnocence.com, bowseat.org/gallery/ocean-in-need,en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Wade, www.Myhero.com

Do you have a personal hero? 

For me, my heroes are the brave men and women with the courage to stand up for the freedom of an entire country. The ones who lost their lives for their people, and the innocent people who fought for freedom in the face of war. Those are my heroes, and my song is a tribute to them as a way to honor their heroism and service. 

How do you feel about winning an award at the MY HERO 19th International Film Festival?

I feel so grateful, happy, and surprised about winning this award for the MY HERO International Film Festival. I consider myself more of an artist and musician than a filmmaker, so to win an award for a film accompanied by my song is new for me! It's an incredible honor to have my project recognized on such an amazing and meaningful platform. This recognition not only validates the hard work and dedication that went into creating the song but also the importance of remembering those who lost to war who put their lives on the line for freedom. Winning this award fills me with gratitude, knowing that the message I wanted to convey resonates so deeply with those who saw my work that I’m given recognition. It’s extremely inspiring, and receiving this award fuels my drive to write more music to promote nonviolence and honor the fallen.

Watch the video HERE

Echoes of War – The Lyrics

These beaches

These fields

These towns

Were once a battleground

These crosses

These flowers

Had heartbeats

Had power

And as I stand here on the shore

I hear the echoes of the war

All these lives were lost along the coast

I know I’m not alone

[ God forbid we ignore ]

Walk with me

Find your peace

The tide can’t wash away your bravery

[ The time can’t fade away your memory ]

We remember

Always remember

Lest we forget

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films celebrating the power of the human spirit. Hosted by Eva Haller, a prominent philanthropist and advocate for social change, the festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college, and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.

Join us for the Awards Celebration on Saturday, November 18th at 2pm (PST). Festival winners and their heroes will be on hand to answer questions and share their stories. Short clips from select films will be screened. Awards are given to winners at Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and Professional levels. Register HERE.

The Sing for Hope Music Video Award is one of many Special Awards that make up the MY HERO International Film Festival, which seeks to honor local and global heroes working for positive change in the world.