Martin Luther King, Jr. And Lyndon Johnson

by Aaron from Mill Valley

I think a hero is someone who looks out for other people or who stands up for people’s rights. A hero should care for other people and shouldn’t discriminate against people because of differences in beliefs, race, or even if people are mentally disabled. A hero should fight for people’s rights. Even if they die, a heroes spirit and ideas live on.

Martin Luther King, Jr. died but his beliefs and ideas are still here and we honor them. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero because he fought not only for what was fair, but for what was right. No one should be discriminated against because of their race. Martin Luther King Jr. fought for blacks to be able to do what whites did: sit in the front of the bus, or drink out of the same water fountain, or even be able to get jobs where they get paid the same.

Lyndon Johnson also fought for black’s rights. Lyndon Johnson was the Vice President of John F. Kennedy. After the president got assassinated he became president. He made the law where if a white person got 100 on a test to get into a job and a black person got a 90, the black person got to do the job. The reason Lyndon Johnson made this law was because in the past a lot of blacks were being discriminated against because they were black. A lot of people didn’t want blacks to do work for them and they didn’t feel like blacks deserved to be paid the same amount of money that whites earned.

Both Martin Luther King, Jr. and Lyndon Johnson were civil rights activists. They both fought for equal rights and the rights of freedom. They did wonderful things for blacks and they never gave up. They were great heroes and we honor them.