Kurt Cobain

by Axelle Debaene from France

There are so many people I consider to be heroes that it was hard to choose only one.

Finally I decided to choose Kurt Cobain because it's thanks to him that I've become the person I am today.

124279kurt on stage with his fender mustanggoogleKurt Donald Cobain was born in 1967 in Aberdeen, Washington and committed suicide in 1994 aged 27 (he's the most popular member of the Sad 27 Club). He had a happy childhood despite the divorce of his parents. In high school he formed a band called Nirvana with a bunch of friends. The band became more and more popular, with Cobain as the singer, guitarist and songwriter. Nirvana has come to be regarded as one of the most influential and important alternative/ grunge bands in history. At the end of his life Kurt became more and more addicted to drugs and depressed. In 1994 he shot himself with a gun, leaving a letter to his wife Courtney Love and his 2 year old daughter behind.

For me Cobain is a hero. Through his songs he spread some important messages to the new generation, he helped a lot of people who were victims of depression, he rejected the diktats of society, he was self-confident by wearing ripped jeans, unclassical clothes and by speaking for a whole generation. He also proved that fame can hurt. From my point of view a hero is someone who changes the life of someone else, it's someone who was at ease with himself.

There is a quote that Cobain wrote that made me think of this: "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." Cobain changed a part of my life in a certain way, I mean because of what he made I'm more self-confident, and I became me, not the person that society wants me to be.