Lawrence Anthony

by Faith Lamb from San Diego, California in United States

Lawrence Anthony

Amelia Thomas, the author of The Zoo on The Road To Nablus, said “Thula Thula’s elephants are lucky to have a friend like Lawrence Anthony.” (Lawrence) And she is completely correct. Lawrence Anthony was a loyal friend to elephants even when they were repeatedly charging him and trying to run away. He waited for them and he helped them feel more comfortable so that he could properly care for them on the Thula Thula grounds. Lawrence Anthony played a vital part in many other Native African animals’ lives. He was the owner and leader of Thula Thula where he sheltered many animals from the danger of poachers. He also saved a lot of animals from the war in Iraq when he risked his life by walking into a war zone. Anthony was able to convince evil people to do what was right for innocent animals when rhinos were in the way of African rebels. Thula Thula reminded him of wild Africa, where he grew up, and was where he lived the rest of his life. He lived his life well, there, until March of 2012 when he died of a heart attack. Anthony had the makings of a hero. Heroes must be determined to do what is right even when the situation is difficult, and they have to care enough about their cause and the lives they affect to fuel that determination. Lawrence Anthony was a determined man with a caring heart that led him to do many amazing things, therefore, classifying him as a hero.

An important part of being a hero is being caring. Lawrence Anthony had a big heart that he used to impact the lives of many animals. This was immensely demonstrated when Anthony and his team saved zoo animals in the middle of a war zone. “...fights for the zoo's survival, at no small risk to himself” (Lawrence). When Lawrence Anthony made the decision to save the Baghdad Zoo, he risked his life just to try to help however he could in saving the zoo and the animals in it. He cared so much about helping other animals that his needs were pushed into the back of his mind. A poacher had made a kill on Thula Thula, something Anthony vowed would never happen again after he bought the land. “I shivered, feeling old and weary” (Lawrence, Anthony, and Graham). After his defeat he felt like all of his work was not enough, at least it wasn’t enough for the innocent Nyala.  “Feeling old and weary” shows how he was very invested in these animals and when he hadn’t done them justice he felt like he was falling apart. There is no doubt that Lawrence Anthony did amazing things while he was alive. But he wanted to go a step further and create something that would live on after his death, and so he did. “The Earth Organization, [is] a conservation group that Mr. Anthony founded in 2003” (Martin). Anthony created an organization so that his influence could continue to improve the lives of suffering animals from beyond the grave. His impact will never be overlooked. Anthony was an amazing man who cared endlessly for animals all over the world who needed him the most.

Heroism is not for the faint of heart; only the most determined people have what it takes to deserve the title of a hero. Anthony deserved it. He never gave up. When he received his elephants he was determined to make them happy and to positively impact their lives. ¨for the next three weeks he spent much of the time in face-to-face talks with Nana, pleading with the fiercely protective matriarch not to leave, trying to persuade her that this was a safe place, that she could trust him.¨ (Siebert) The Thula Thula elephants were very hard to get through to but Anthony pushed past their barriers. Anthony could have given up like all the other conservationists that cared for these elephants, but he didn't. He was determined to give them happy and healthy lives. Anthony was not only responsible for the lives of happy African animals, he helped animals all over the world. “The story of the zoo is in many ways a microcosm of what happened in Baghdad in those first chaotic, hopeful and ultimately disheartening months,’ wrote Joshua Kucera in the San Francisco Chronicle.” (Lawrence) Even though there was a time where it was sad, ‘disheartening’ and ‘chaotic’ Anthony persevered and was able to improve those times for the zoo animals. Lawrence Anthony was determined to impact this Earth and the animals on it, and he achieved just that.

Lawrence Anthony was determined and caring, and he accomplished many remarkable things. The caring soul of Mr. Anthony fueled him to save and improve many lives. His constant determination lead him to do the impossible and he left a big impact on the world. Marc Bekoff the author of The Emotional Lives of Animals gave his review of one of Lawrence Anthony’s books, The Elephant Whisperer, before the story started. “Anthony has made a difference in the lives of many magnificent animals who otherwise would have been lost to the world. When you’re feeling down and out and defeated and ready to give up read this inspiring book and share it widely with others.” I agree with Marc Bekoff. Lawrence Anthony will always be an inspiration in how to make a positive change in the world. He was able to save many lives and have a big impact on the world before his time was up. I think that Mr. Anthony was an utterly amazing part of this world. He did things that many people could only dream of doing, and he did them well.

LAWRENCE, ANTHONY, and Graham Spence. ELEPHANT WHISPERER. PAN Books, 2017.

"Lawrence Anthony." Contemporary Authors Online, Gale, 2014. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/H1000177022/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=20035640. Accessed 16 Jan. 2019.

Martin, Douglas. “Lawrence Anthony, Baghdad Zoo Savior, Dies at 61.” The New York Times, 11 Mar. 2012, Lawrence Anthony, Baghdad Zoo Savior, Dies at 61.

Siebert, Charles. "Lawrence Anthony." The New York Times Magazine, 30 Dec. 2012, p. 20(L). Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A313355385/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=eca274d8. Accessed 14 Jan. 2019.

Official Site - Thula Thula's page on Lawrence Anthony.
The Elephant Whisperer - This is a link to Amazon.com where the book can be purchased.