ORGANIZER

Learning Circle

Call to Action, Filmmaking, Essay Writing

When Emmy was in 4th grade, she participated in MY HERO and wrote a story about her father, Jeremy Glick, who died on September 11, 2001. After reading her story, her class decided they wanted to do something to honor Jeremy and decided to raise money for the Japanese relief effort after the tsunami in 2011. They partnered with an after school program in Harlem run by Jeremy's Heroes, a charity started by Jeremy's family. Students in both locations became filmmakers documenting their efforts. 

My Hero: Call to Action

By: Laura Nietzer

Pictures documenting Saddle River Day School students' efforts honoring Jeremy Glick.

Jeremy's Heroes is an after school program in Harlem, NY.  Students all participate in community service and this year they chose to raise money for the Japanese Tsunami relief as their service project and their efforts are also documented in the film Call to Action

Jeremy's Heroes Bake Sale
Credit: Jeremy's Heroes

Call to Action

Produced by:Laura Nietzer

Film documenting kids becoming activists in memory of a classmate's father.

Saddle River Day School

By: Laura Nietzer

Our class was part of the My Hero Learning Circle. We had the opportunity to video conference with a class in Texas and another class in Canada to share our ideas about who is a hero and why. After discussing what makes a hero and who are heroes, each student chose his or her hero to write about in an essay. Some students chose family member, others chose a sports hero or person from history. We look forward to sharing our essays and learning more about the heroes from the other participants in this project.

Showcase Organizer Links

Organizer created on 1/21/2021 4:37:55 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 1/25/2021 2:29:05 PM by Laura Nietzer