Abraham Lincoln

by Jonathan from Pleasant Hill

My hero is Abraham Lincoln because he was a great leader. He was the sixteenth president of the United States. Many changes took place in his life, not just in the United States but all over the world.

He was the second child of Thomas Lincoln,and his wife, Nancy Hanks. The Lincolns lives in a wild countryside, known as the "backwoods" in Kentucky. When he was 22, Lincoln left the farm and moved to Illiinois. He did all sorts of new jobs, such as being a store manager, postmaker, and assistant surveyor. He got interested in politics and became a lawyer.

Abraham Lincoln lived during the civil war. He was born in Kentucky, where slavery was legal. Later on he moved to Illiinois, because slavery was illegal there. He hated slavery, and wanted it to be banned throughout the nation. In the year 1860, Lincoln was elected for president, but there was a war around that time called the Civil War. The southern states broke away from the northern states because they wanted slavery. During the year 1863, Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation, making slavery illegal. They appointed him for president, for a second term in 1864.

Finally the civil war ended on April 9, 1865. Thanks to Abraham Lincoln the northern states won. Slavery became illegal everywhere in the United States. Lincoln became a hero. Unfortunetely on April 14, 1865, he was shot and badly wounded. He died the next day.

Abraham Lincoln is my hero because he fought for slavery to be illegal and he succeded. Slavery is like a punishment, and people don't deserve to be punished for no reason. Abraham Lincoln is important to me because he fought for freedom.