Abraham Lincoln

by Elliott from Sycamore Jr. High

This was Abe Lincoln in 1836 (http://www.chenowith.k12.or.us/tech/<br>cgcc/projects/bright/lincoln01.htm)
This was Abe Lincoln in 1836 (http://www.chenowith.k12.or.us/tech/
cgcc/projects/bright/lincoln01.htm)

Can you imagine a poor boy raised in a log cabin becoming one of the most famous U.S Presidents? Abe Lincoln, our 16th president, had a humble beginning. He became well-known for freeing the slaves after the Civil War. Lincoln stood up for his opinions and beliefs. He is a symbol of freedom for many African-Americans years later.

Abraham Lincoln was born on a rainy morning on February 12, l809 in a log cabin in Hodgenville, Kentucky. He was born on a bed with a corn husk mattress. Lincoln was named after his grandpa. His parents were Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks. He also had a little sister named Sarah. Abe was 24 years old when he was elected to the state legislature as a Whig. Abe denounced slavery, saying it was "founded on both injustice and bad policy." Lincoln received his law license as the leader of the state Whigs. Lincoln wanted to keep his important papers handy with him all of the time, so he put them in his top hat. Abe Lincoln became a hero when he signed the final Emancipation Proclamation, which freed all the slaves, and allowed black people to go to war.

In 1842 Lincoln married an energetic girl from Lexington, Kentucky. Her name was Mary Todd. President Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States, the first Republican, getting 180 of 303 likely electoral votes and 40 percent of the popular vote. The South voted almost firmly against him. This was a complicated time to be president because many Southern states did not have the same opinion as Lincoln on slavery, and stated they were not a part of the United States. The nation divided into two and the Civil War began. America became a nation divided.

Abe Lincoln is a great example of a "hero within." He fits T. A. Barron’s description of a "hero within" in many ways. A "hero within" is a hero that faces a lot of challenges. First, Lincoln had to stand up to all the people who disagreed with him. Secondly, he had to lead the country during the war between the South and the North. Lastly, Abraham Lincoln was reelected president and had to stand up for his country for another four years. This is why he fits the book's description.

Lincoln stopped slavery and was very brave. So, hopefully, you know a little bit more about the President of this United States, a hero for all times. Americans will long keep in mind President Abraham Lincoln.

Abe Lincoln Time Line - You will find pictures and more infomation about Abe Lincoln on this Web site.

Bright, Betty. "Abe Lincoln Time Line." Abe Lincoln. 07 Oct. 2005 .

Barron, T.A. The Hero's Trail. New York, NY: Philomel Books, 2002.