Louis Zamperini

by Devon Choiniere from San Diego, California in United States

133554https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_(U.S._Army_Air_Forces).jpgU.S. Army [Public domain]“Zamperini's father taught him to box, which only had the effect of letting him win fights instead of losing them. He spent time on the streets, committing petty crimes, and by the time he entered Torrance High School he was at serious risk of going to prison” (“Louis Zamperini”). Who knew that this juvenile thief would turn out to be a star Olympic runner, as well as a prisoner at a Japanese POW camp during World War 2. “Louis Silvie Zamperini was born in Olean, New York, on January 26, 1917. The family moved to Torrance, California, when Louis was three.” (“Louis Zamperini”). Louis struggled in school and often turned to crime, but eventually his brother inspired him to join the track team in hopes that he’d stop stealing. He eventually got so good that he ran in the Olympics during the year 1936 and planned to do so again in 1940, but the event was cancelled due to the start of World War 2. Louis joined the air force where his planes engine failed, causing him and two other men to get stranded at sea for 47 days. He was then picked up by the Japanese where he was imprisoned in a POW camp for two years.“He was officially released on September 5, 1945, more than two years after his plane crash”(green). After the war, Louis suffered from PTSD and planned to take revenge on his previous captors. However, he later offered his former enemies forgiveness inspiring countless others to do the same (“Louis Zamperini”). To be a hero one must posses determination and the ability to forgive. They must never give up on their goals and learn to forgive those who have wronged them. Zamperini demonstrates both of these traits. Louis Zamperini is a hero because his determination, and ability to forgive inspired him to never give up and to turn his life around when he was at his lowest.

Louis’ ability to stay determined through the toughest situations is a quality that a true hero should possess. When he was younger, Louis was always in trouble with the authorities and often committed small crimes. However, “At the urging of his older brother, Zamperini turned the speed he developed outrunning the authorities to a better purpose. He joined the track team and soon became a standout athlete. He set a national high school record for running the mile” (“Louis Zamperini”). Louis knew that he was not in shape, but discovered that he had the natural drive to improve. He was determined to improve as much as possible and even aimed to break the schools record mile time. Louis refused to let go of his goal and eventually ran in the 1936 Olympics. Louis’ determination was also prevalent when he was forced to survive being stranded at sea.“ On May 27, 1943: A worn B-24 called the Green Hornet crashed after two engines failed and exploded as it hit the water [...]  Zamperini and two other crewmen found a life raft and climbed in; the other eight crewmen had been killed.[...]The three men remained at sea for 47 days, during which one crewman, Francis McNamara, died and was buried at sea. Zamperini and the other survivor, Russell Phillips, used their bare hands to kill birds that landed on their raft, eating them and using the entrails as bait to catch a shark and several smaller fish, which they ate raw. Sharks threatened Zamperini and Phillips as they hid under the raft to escape a strafing attack from Japanese planes” (Louis Zamperini). Louis knew that their chances of survival were low, but refused to give up hope and surrender his life. He became the natural leader of the group, motivating them to hunt for food and to pull through for as long as possible.Throughout his life, Louis stayed determined to accomplish his goals despite the many obstacles he faced. He refused to give up and in turn was able to become a better athlete and survive being stranded at sea.

133712https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_at_announcement_of_2015_Tournament_of_Roses_Grand_Marshal.JPGFloatjon [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)]Louis Zamperini is a primary example of a hero because he turned his life around by discovering the true meaning of forgiveness. Once the war concluded, Louis finally returned to the US. However, he was unable to forget the horrors he had experienced while in captivity and began to drown his sorrows in alcohol. Haunted by dreams of his enemies, Louis decided that he wanted revenge on the people who had wronged him during the war and planned to travel to Japan to kill them (Cameron). “His wife, still fighting to salvage her marriage and turn her husband's life around, brought Zamperini to a religious service of Pastor Billy Graham's. Zamperini turned a corner, and decided to stop drinking, smoking, and focusing on the war. Instead, he found a renewed faith, joining Graham's mission and speaking publicly about forgiveness” (Cameron).  Zamperini was originally hesitant to meet with the pastor since he had never been religious in his life and didn’t believe that he could be redeemed. However, by meeting the pastor he learned the Christian idea of forgiveness. Louis dropped his plan for revenge and started the process of self healing. By turning to God, he learned that it is wrong to hold a grudge and that you should love your neighbor as you love yourself. Through his faith, Louis was eventually able to forgive his captors showing true growth as a person. While in captivity, Zamperini was tortured by a cruel man, called Sergeant Mutsuhiro “the bird” Watanabe. Zamperini was Watanabe’s favorite target and he would often be beat up and abused by him (“Louis Zamperini”). After meeting pastor Billy Graham and turning to God, Louis decided to return to Japan, but with a different plan in mind. Instead of taking revenge on his captors he wanted to forgive them. “In 1950 [Louis] traveled to Japan and stated his forgiveness for his former captors. He asked to meet with Watanabe, who later became a successful insurance executive, but the latter refused” (“Louis Zamperini”). Louis had learned that it was better to forgive his enemies rather than let them destroy his life. Zamperini wanted them to forget about their past and offer them complete and total forgiveness. Louis especially wanted to meet with Watanabe, the man who had affected his life so much. Even after everything Watanabe had done to him, Louis wanted him to know that he no longer held a grudge and that everything that had happened during the war had been forgotten. Overall, Louis conveys the heroic trait of forgiveness since he was able to heal himself and forgive the men that had tortured him.

In the end, Louis Zamperini displayed true heroism as he was able to remain determined through his toughest moments, and forgive his enemies. Louis lived an extraordinary life. He was an Olympic runner, he was stranded in a raft at sea for 47 days, he was imprisoned in a Japanese POW camp during World War 2, and he later made peace with his former captors. He was able to turn his life around when he developed PTSD and devoted the rest of it to helping others. Louis Zamperini is a true inspiration because of his desire to never stop trying, and his ability to forgive his enemies. After everything the Japanese (particularly Watanabe) put him through he was still able to move past what they had done to him and find forgiveness. As Louis said in his book Devil at my heels, “The one who forgives never brings up the past to that person's face. When you forgive, it's like it never happened. True forgiveness is complete and total” (Zamperini). Not many people have the strength to forgive their enemies and for them, Louis serves as an inspiration that anyone can find forgiveness. Louis inspires me to see the good in people and to fight for what’s right. In addition, Louis inspires me to stick with my goals and to never give up. He states,“I'd made it this far and refused to give up because all my life I had always finished the race” (Zamperini). Like Louis, I want to enhance my ability as a runner and he is an inspiration to keep trying to improve no matter what and to just keep running. After all, when you don't give up anything is possible. Louis is a true hero due to his ability to grow as a person, forgive his tormentors, and finally find redemption.

Cameron, Ann. “Louis Zamperini.” Louis Zamperini, Jan. 2011, p. 1. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=57229514&site= brc-live.

green, Richard. “Louis Zamperini: The Story of a True American Hero.” National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives and Records Administration, 24 Dec. 2014, unwritten-record.blogs.archives.gov/2014/12/24/louis-zamperini-the-story-of-a-true-american-hero/.

"Louis Zamperini." Gale Biography in Context, Gale, 2014. Biography In Context,https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1650009447/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=f06ef70b. Accessed 29 Apr. 2019.

"Louis Zamperini." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, vol. 36, Gale, 2016. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631010553/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=f8b2bcd2. Accessed 1 May 2019.

Zamperini, Louis, and Helen Itria. Devil at My Heels: the Story of Louis Zamperini. Dutton, 1956.

Reaction to Louis' movie - Check out what people think of Louis' new movie
Zamperini's visit to the Billy Graham Library - Read about his visit to the library for a book signing.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_(U.S._Army_Air_Forces).jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_at_announcement_of_2015_Tournament_of_Roses_Grand_Marshal.JPG