Marie Curie

by Teresa from St. Paul

Marie Curie was born November 7, 1867 in Poland when it was ruled by Russians.

Madame Curie was always a smart person. When she lived in France, she and her husband, Pierre discovered radium in their miserable old shed. Radium can save people from cancer. by discovering radium, she and Pierre recieved their first Nobel Prize for Physics. Then in 1911she won her second Nobel Prize for inventing radioactivity ( properties of giving off rays of energy

In World War 1, when France was at war, Marie used X-rays to help wounded soldiers with bones shattered from bullets. That saved millions of soldiers.

Radium was so hardto make that in 1921 Marie went to the United States and recieved some radium that she needed. When she went she met lots of important people like President Warren G. Harding.

Marie Curie showed that women could also be professors and be as important as men. She showed if you're trying to do something, never give up.

Marie Curie - A nobel Prize laureate in Chemistry at the Nobel Prixe Internet Archive
Marie Curie - If you now how to read German, you should go to this site.
Institut Curie-Section de Recherche - The main reasearch activities