Filmmaker

Magnus Shipe is a finalist at the 20th MY HERO FILM Festival

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

CONTACT:                                                                                       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JEANNE MEYERS
Co-founder/Director
The MY HERO Project
[email protected] 

Kuinerraq is a short film where seventh grader Magnus Shipe explores the heritage of his maternal grandma through this glance at a Yu'pik village and his Native Alaskan roots. In this magically creative film, the audience discovers that the village of Kuinerraq is sinking due to climate change and that this has made the village practically uninhabitable for the 732 residents. It needs to be moved!

The short, but powerful film is a finalist at the 20th MY HERO Film Festival. Winners will be announced on  November 16 from 6pm @ the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. Find out more HERE.

Magnus made this film when he was a student at Turquoise Trail Charter School in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where his teacher, Dr. Lisa Spencer, assigned him a film project. Beyond the classroom, Magnus is also part of Dr. Spencer's non-profit organization, The Mesa Foundation*, an independent film club she established to support students across northern New Mexico. Magnus shared, "Dr. Spencer takes us on field trips to local prop stores, helps us scout filming locations and much more. She’s the one who turns our ideas into reality." Magnus now attends Santa Fe Prep where he hopes to continue to study film and photography.

MY HERO interviewed Magnus about the making of the film:

169202Magnes Shipe

Is this your first film?

Yes. I transferred into a Documentary film class in 7th grade and was given the assignment to make a film of my choosing.  I chose to do a film that combined my Yup’ik culture and how climate change is affecting my ancestors’ way of life.

Why were you drawn to making this film?

I was born in Anchorage, Alaska and wanted to learn more about the birthplace of my grandmother and mother. When I discovered that the small village was at risk because of climate change. I wanted to share the story with as many people as possible.

What in your opinion is the importance of the film and what are its strengths?

Unless you have lived in Alaska or studied about my home state, most do not know anything about Kuinerraq village or its people. The Yup’ik people have inhabited Alaska for 10,000 years and live a subsistence lifestyle of hunting, fishing and gathering. Climate change is threatening the way of life there with melting permafrost and rising sea levels that are literally washing away homes and history. The strength of the film is in its simple storytelling, use of animation and facts about climate change and its immediate impact on Kuinerraq. The film is easy to understand so people of all ages can watch and learn.

What interests are the most important to you (in general) and why?

I am most interested in using my art (film, photography and storytelling) to explore the world I live in and better understand my culture and identity. Climate change and its effects are important to me because I have seen firsthand its devastation and impact on the place and people I love.

169202Kuinerraq, Alaska

What are the issues most important to you?

Climate change and cultural and indigenous awareness are important issues to me.

Could you tell us the process of making the film?

The first step was coming up with a story idea that could be done in under seven minutes in a compelling way.  Once the idea was determined, we created a storyboard, researched and wrote the story and then used a combination of animation and stock footage to create the film

Who was on your team? Who produced the film?

My 7th grade classmates were on my team. Ella Marquez was the researcher, Issac Boss was the animator, Jayla Salazar helped all of the team members in the making of the film. I was the storyteller, producer and director. My teacher, Dr Lisa Spencer, guided, encouraged and helped us problem solve throughout the process. 

169202Yup'ik Masks

What was it like to make this film?

This was my first film and there was a big learning curve.  It was fun and at times challenging.  Working in groups can be difficult because everyone has their own ideas.  I learned to collaborate and listen to my teammates’ ideas. I learned I could persevere.

What was some of the challenges, successes and high points?

The challenges were having less time to make the film as I transferred into the class and missed the first half of a semester.  The success definitely was not giving up and completing a film that I could be proud of.  The high point is having the film screened all over the United States, Europe and Canada helping spread the word about Kuinerraq and its perilous situation.

Watch the film HERE 

Do you have a personal hero?

Yes, my Grandpa who is my dad’s Dad is my personal hero. He is smart, witty, patient, thoughtful and kind.  He takes the time to be interested in the things that capture my interests and teaches me things like how to build a computer and helped me learn algebra and science in a fun way.

FIND MORE OF MAGNUS' WORK HERE: www.magnusjshipe.com

*The Mesa Foundation

The Mesa Foundation, founded by Dr. Lisa Spencer, is dedicated to serving vulnerable populations through the pillars of Music, Education, Sanctuary, and Advocacy (MESA). The organization focuses on social justice and empowering marginalized communities worldwide. Dr. Spencer, who is deeply involved in advocacy for child protection, anti-violence, and women's rights, created the foundation after years of experiencing resistance to change within state systems. The foundation operates remotely but with a global reach, aiming to inspire and support individuals in their personal and communal growth. Stated Dr. Lisa Spencer: "The high plateau landscape of the mesa inspires a sacred platform of service work with projects and partners in social justice through the modalities of Music, Education, Sanctuary, and Advocacy: MESA."

For more details, visit: www.themesafoundation.org

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films that celebrate the power of the human spirit. The festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.

Join us in celebrating 20 years of The MY HERO International Film Festival on November 16, 6pm @ the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. Find out more HERE.

oooo