Angels

The Make-A-Wish Foundation

by Adrianna from USA

Do you believe wishes come true? I do, but sometimes they need a little help. Make-A-Wish Foundation does just that. They make dreams come true for children with life-threatening illnesses. The foundation was started in November 1980 in Phoenix, Arizona. Make-A-Wish Foundation started after Chris Grecius, an ill child, died. The idea to make a day when sick children and their families could experience a dream come true was born.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation tries to grant every wish sick children request. Its goal is to make some wishes come true. Volunteers help make it easier. Every week, thousands of sick children around the world get their very own wish granted. There are many chapters of the foundation around the world. In the United States there are eighty chapters, and internationally, there are chapters in twenty countries around the world. It’s not easy making one wish come true. A sick child must be recommended to the foundation by the child‘s parent or legal guardian. Then the foundation gets to work right away on the wish. To make a wish come true, they need volunteers to help out. They use the money that donors give them to help some wishes get granted. They are proud when they see the children and their families happy together.

It must be hard losing a family member or a friend to a disease or illness. “By sharing the power of a wish, over 127,000 children have experienced moments of hope, strength, and joy from a Make-A-Wish experience.” All those children never gave up when times were bad.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation is important to me because seeing kids happy is worth watching. It makes families happy, too. The foundation is determined to make every wish come true. It is an inspiration for people to volunteer and donate money. My cousin had leukemia and her wish came true. Wishes do come true and I will always believe in the power of working together to help wishes come true.

Unknown. "Make A Wish Beginnings." [Online] Available http://www.wish.org.

Uknown. "How the Make A Wish began." [Online] Available http://cwnorthcarolina.wish.org.

Pauling-Bergendohl, Linda. Little Bubble Gum Trooper. Arizona2000.