Malala Yousafzai

by Manoghna from Dublin, Ohio in United States

In my opinion a hero is a person with these qualities: bravery, faith and dedication. A hero should be brave even when things unexpectedly happen. A hero should have faith in what they want to accomplish. And most important, a hero should be dedicated to accomplish their task. I believe a hero with these qualities is Malala Yousafzai!

I believe Malala has the trait of bravery because Malala stood up to the Taliban. The Taliban are a dangerous group of people who believe woman or girls can not go to school. They think the men should do everything from getting the groceries to working. The Taliban would shoot anybody who would disagree with them. Malala survived many gunshots. Even though Malala was attacked, she still never lost her bravery.

Malala had faith from when the Taliban first came to her village in Swat and attacked them. The whole village had to evacuate, and Malala still had faith that they would come back to their village. Later, Malala’s dad had to leave his family to join a campaign club. Malala was still faithful.

Dedication brought Malala up to where she is now. Malala was dedicated to standing up for girls’ rights. Malala got shot more than two times, but she was still dedicated to stand up to the Taliban. She stood up to them even though many, many, many people told her that being a girl was very dangerous. Malala continues her work as an education activist for girls and women.

Malala Yousafzai was born on July 12, 1997, in Mingora, Pakistan. A quote said by Malala: “We are scared, but our fear was not as strong as our courage.” In 2013, Malala was a Nobel Peace Prize Nominee, and a year later, Malala won it! Malala was 17 when she won the prize, and she was the youngest winner in the history of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Thank you for reading about my hero: Malala Yousafzai. Not only does she show the three qualities I chose, but she has many qualities that you can support. Malala shows that everybody has a voice, and most importantly she shows that girls have a voice. Malala is still alive and just returned for the first time to her hometown.