Introduction to MY HERO's Media Arts Programs

by MY HERO

132756
Inspire ★ Engage ★ Empower
Using MY HERO Media Arts in the Classroom

MY HERO’s digital storytelling tools, and extensive library of stories, art, music and short films, inspire students and enrich learning in classrooms around the globe. On June 8, meet the mentors working with our award-winning educational program. 

June 8, 2019 | 5:00PM-6:00 PM
Moss Theater - New Roads School
3131 Olympic Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90404

MY HERO mentors help bridge the digital divide by working with teachers, students
and activists to help them share their stories with the world. Speakers include:

Jeanne MeyersCo-founder and Director of The MY HERO Project — Meyers is a film and media producer. She co-founded the website in 1995 with Karen Pritzker and Rita Stern-Milch. Meyers will introduce the MY HERO team and give an overview on the MY HERO Project.

Xenia Shin — MY HERO Managing Editor / Director - Women Transforming Media Initiative — Shin will share how MY HERO’s Calendar and Hero Lesson Plans can bring classroom curricula to life and inspire students to take action. Shin has produced award-winning short films and written features for MY HERO.

Shannon Luders-ManuelEditor and Writer for the MY HERO Project’s Writing Program — Luders-Manuel is a critical mixed-race scholar whose writing has been featured in the New York Times, New York Daily News, Los Angeles Review of Books, Essence and more. She will explain how MY HERO’s Create tool helps students develop research skills, digital literacy and character.

Wendy MiletteDirector of MY HERO’s Media Arts Education Program — Milette is an educator who has designed and taught film workshops all over the world. She will talk about ways MY HERO’s film festival, film library, workshops and Global Exchange program help develop students' digital storytelling skills. She will talk about using hero-themed films to help students push the boundaries of their comfort zones and learn about diverse people and subjects.

Victoria Murphy — Director of the MY HERO Gallery and Arts Education Outreach — Murphy is an Art Historian, Gallery Curator and Artist who attended the University of Chicago for her graduate education. She inspires children to make hero art.

Mohamed Sidibay — MY HERO Global Ambassador — Sidibay will share his inspiring journey from former child soldier to global human rights activist and how he came to be a friend to MY HERO. He will offer insights into the global impact of MY HERO in education.

Marc Ostrick — MY HERO Global Exchange Ostrick recently returned from India, where he used MY HERO educational resources to teach a State Department-funded workshop with Video Volunteers. He will talk about ways to incorporate MY HERO curricula in classrooms and after-school programs around the world.

In our globally connected world we have an opportunity to learn from one another, to exchange stories that honor those who are tackling the great challenges of our time and working to improve the quality of life for all. The MY HERO Project, a non profit educational organization, provides teachers and students with free digital, multimedia tools to publish web pages that honor heroes around the world using stories, artwork, audio and films. The goal is to inspire students to appreciate diversity and to identify their own heroes and ways they too can make a positive difference.

Reserve Your Seat Today!

Please visit the MY HERO Teachers' Room to explore our free resources and lesson plans.