Marianne

by Laura Nietzer from Upper Greenwood Lake, NJ

139701Marianne at WorkMarianne S.My hero is my sister-in-law, Marianne. She is not only the mother of four children, she is also a nurse. Marianne was always interested in becoming a nurse and completed her nursing degree after she had her children. She now works at a major hospital in New York State with coronavirus patients. Marianne is an amazing mom to four children and has always been a great example for them. 

Marianne started her career as a health educator. She worked with schools and community groups, organizing walking clubs and healthy eating programs. Her real desire was to become a nurse, and she began taking classes towards this end. However, this dream was interrupted when she became a mother.

Once all her children were old enough to go to school, Marianne went back to college in order to complete her nursing degree. She took classes during the day when her children were at school, and studied at night once they were in bed. It was amazing the way Marianne was able to juggle her children’s schedules, her own classes and studying. Her dedication and determination is a wonderful example for her children. 

Now Marianne works at a major hospital in New York with patients who have tested positive for coronavirus. She leaves her house at the crack of dawn and returns home 14 hours later. Before seeing her children after a shift at the hospital, Marianne bleaches her shoes, takes off her scrubs and showers in order to keep her family safe. She puts just as much thought and care into her family as she does with her patients, creating routines and activities to foster a positive environment. 

There are many people who are helping during this pandemic. It takes a special person to put themselves at risk to help others. Marianne is that type of person. I respect what she is doing for others and admire how she is able to balance being a nurse during this pandemic and being such a wonderful mom to her children. This is why Marianne is my hero.