Martin Luther King Jr

by Zeke Rogers from Colorado

MLK The Hero

Have you ever heard of Martin Luther King, Jr? Well now you're going to learn about him and what his accomplishments are. Martin Luther King, Jr was born on January 15,1929. He was originally named Michael but then it was changed to Martin. King grew up in segregated public schools but was still very smart, graduating at 15. He is known today for his fight for civil rights and his non-violent approach to making changes in how black people were treated. In his lifetime, Martin Luther King, Jr exhibited moral courage in several ways. 

To begin with, he led one of the greatest nonviolent demonstrations in our nation’s history: the bus boycott. He was jailed for his participation in the March on Washington and his house was bombed, but he never gave up on his dreams. The Bus Boycott happened in Alabama in 1955. King led a boycott of buses in the city that would not let black people sit in the front rows. Many people know the name of Rosa Parks, and MLK took what happened to her to action. He and the people who followed him were able to hurt the bus companies, not by fighting them physically, or doing anything illegal, but by using other ways to get around town. By boycotting the buses, the companies finally gave in and the law was changed so that no bus was allowed to discriminate against someone who was not white. MLK was jailed for this, but did not give up. 

Martin Luther King, Jr. attended as many events as possible to make the nation aware of the way blacks were being treated. The March on Washington happened in 1963. This huge group of people marched to protest discrimination and for equal rights. King was able to get over 200,000 people to join him in what became the largest gathering of people in Washington, DC. Martin Luther King, Jr helped to get the the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed so that the discrimination of the southern United States was seen as wrong across the nation. He also helped with the Voting Acts Right of 1965, so that African Americans could vote without the treatment they had been given before his work. He also inspired generations to use peaceful protest to make change happen rather than resorting to violence. 

I am inspired by Martin Luther King, Jr. to be more peaceful and speak my mind in a peaceful way. I’m inspired to support the rights of others as he did. Martin Luther King, Jr. was persistent and responded to every act of violence in a peaceful way.  

Martin Luther King Jr. was an inspiration to everyone. He fought for equal rights for all African Americans. He showed moral courage by standing up against the injustices in his life. Martin Luther King, Jr. was able to make many changes that made lives better, not only for black people, but for all people. I think what we can take away from this is that Martin Luther King, Jr  was one of the best things to ever happen to this world. We all need to be a little more like Martin Luther King, Jr.