Media Arts

MY HERO Media Arts Mentor Program 2024

by Naomi Gledhill from MY HERO Staff

Following a pilot in 2023, The MY HERO Project has completed the second iteration of an eight-week on-site outreach Media Arts Mentor program at Ascot Avenue Elementary school in South Central Los Angeles. Approximately ninety students between grades three and five, both mainstream and special educational needs, took part in the program which built on the success of its run last year.

168781A student from Ascot Avenue Elementary works on her project during one of the MY HERO Media Arts Education program workshops. Saint George Thompson/The MY HERO Project

The Pilot Program

The pilot program was funded by the Max Factor Family Foundation as part of a grant to support teachers in implementing MY HERO Media Arts Education, media literacy and creative storytelling into the curriculum. Media arts expert Frank Guttler and MY HERO Intern and USC School of Cinema graduate Justine Beed worked together to curate each workshop and attended the school to lead an hour-long session each week. Students from the third and fourth grade were tasked with creating a mini documentary about a heroic woman for Women’s History Month, whilst students from fifth grade created a Public Service Announcement urging action on a global or local topic of their choice.

Media Arts Mentor Program 2024

The program this year was funded through the Los Angeles Unified School District and Mr. Guttler’s consultancy, Lights, Camera, Learn! LLC. Guttler partnered with MY HERO intern & USC School of Cinema student Isabella Escalona to deliver the series of workshops. The MY HERO team worked closely with Dr. Ortiz and the staff at Ascot Avenue to curate the program, tailored to enhance the school’s existing curriculum. Each hour-long workshop was designed to introduce and demonstrate a different element of pre-production, production, and post-production, before the students were tasked with implementing their learning in the creation of their own projects. In some sessions, Mr. Guttler and Ms. Escalona provided one to one coaching to students, as well as providing feedback throughout the process.

168781Saint George Thompson/The MY HERO ProjectMedia Arts expert Frank Guttler delivers one of the workshops.

168781Saint George Thompson/The MY HERO ProjectIsabella Escalona works with students recording audio for their projects.

168786MY HERO artist Saint George Thompson works with a student from Ascot. Frank Guttler/The MY HERO Project

This year, the theme of the workshops was ‘My Hero: Windows and Mirrors.’ Frank Guttler explained that the theme was inspired by the Principal at Ascot Avenue Elementary, Dr. Gustavo Ortiz. “Having seen the impact on his students in the last workshop,” Mr. Guttler said, “Dr. Ortiz observed this process of storytelling about heroes as an opportunity to have students examine heroes as windows to a possible future and also a mirror to see themselves.” Students from the third and fourth grade created mini documentaries about a historic or everyday hero of their choice, whilst fifth grade students were challenged to create a short film telling the story of a hero in STEM.

As with the pilot program, Mr. Guttler explained that it was important to him that the technology and equipment used was already available at the school, allowing both the teachers and student to continue to use the skills learned on the program long after the eight weeks. However, the programs second iteration saw many improvements from the previous year, in part thanks to a sizable investment in video and audio technology made by Dr. Ortiz. Further technology training was also provided, as well as guidance for the staff on how to utilize the free Media Arts Education resources available at myhero.com/mediaartseducation.

168781Saint George Thompson/The MY HERO ProjectFrank Guttler works with one of the staff members at Ascot Avenue Elementary.

Upon completing the eight-week program, the MY HERO team, Ascot Avenue staff, and students celebrated with a film festival-esque screening, at which a selection of the students’ films were shown.

168781Saint George Thompson/The MY HERO ProjectFrank Guttler and Isabella Escalona celebrate the completion of the eight week program with Ascot Avenue Elementary students.

Reflecting on the success of the program, Frank Guttler notes,

“I've enjoyed working with the team at Ascot. The school has a rare combination of teachers & students motivated to learn storytelling with technology and a supportive administration to allocate both time and resources, and foster an inviting, supportive environment for us as visiting educators and for the teachers & students' growth as media literate and conversant future leaders.  We always hope the breadth of experience they had with us will reflect in the videos, although I will tell you in a program like this the real success comes from seeing the students become real producers of media, building on the agency we fostered in them.”

Isabella Escalona added, 

"[This was] one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had. As a Media Arts Youth Mentor with the #MyHeroProject, I am privileged to align my passions for storytelling and working with youth. It's an honor to guide young minds in creating compelling visual narratives about important issues and heroic figures. Watching their eyes light up as they research, develop scripts, and use their voices is truly fulfilling. Huge thank you to the The MY HERO Project for this incredible opportunity."

Dr. Ortiz, on working with MY HERO, said,

"The MY HERO project that has been generously granted to Ascot Elementary students in South Central Los Angeles has brought "windows and mirrors" to the entire school community. Students have been able to create videos that through windows see their future and with mirrors see themselves as part of the pathways that their heroes and sheroes have laid out.

To enrich the lives of students with knowledge that allows them to write storyboards and use their artistry using student voice and video editing tools at Ascot Elementary has brought the future of education to our present and we could not have begun the work without the MY HERO project, Frank Guttler and Justine Beed. 

MY HERO has provided our students with tools that will carry them in life.  Ascot, the oldest standing elementary school structure in LAUSD has been renewed with the use of technology and video editing that Frank and Justine have been able to teach with.

When we talk about urban education and making an impact on poverty, social ills and homelessness, MY HERO opens the windows to a brighter future as it highlights resilience, relevance and relationships that tie all of us together." 

Through this program, The MY HERO Project hopes to continue to provide both educators and students alike with the necessary tools to facilitate a culture of media literacy and digital storytelling in the classroom.

Learn more about the program and the impact of MY HERO Media Arts here.