Melina Laboucan-Massimo

by Betzy Flores Tapia from Chicago, Illinois in United States

“We are going off a cliff. Indigenous Peoples have known this, because we live in equilibrium and balance with the Earth. That's what everyone needs to get in line with, because we are in the natural law of a planet that has a finite system". 

My hero is Melina Laboucan Massimo, from Northern Alberta Canada , she was born in 1981  (43 years old)  She attended the Graduate School of Environmental Studies at York University in Toronto, Canada.

Some of her main achievements include his work in the fight against oil extraction in indigenous territories, the promotion of renewable energy and the defense of indigenous sovereignty over their territories.  Her actions are related to sustainable development by promoting environmental protection, social justice and intergenerational equity.

I chose Melina as my hero because of her brave fight for environmental justice and indigenous rights. Her story can inspire us to be people of change and defend the environment. If I met her I would ask her how we can continue to support indigenous communities in their fight to protect their lands and natural resources.

168453Melina Laboucan Massimo ActivistSean Gallup  

Jansen, Christiana. 10 Women Leading the Fight Against Climate Change. [Online] Available https://earth.org/10-women-leading-the-fight-against-climate-change/.May 2 2024.