Poets

Mihai Eminescu

by Marina Frunze from Rezina,village Cuizăuca in Moldova

Mihai Eminescu

117950 MIHAI EMINESCU My favorite poetMihai Eminescu was a Romantic poet, novelist and journalist, often regarded as the most famous and influential Romanian poet. He was born on 15 January 1850 and died on 15 June 1889. Nicolae Iorga, the Romanian historian, considers "Eminescu the godfather of the modern Romanian language."

He is unanimously celebrated as the greatest and most representative Romanian poet. I love his poems because they inspire me to write my personal poems. His poems span a large range of themes, from nature and love to hate and social commentary. His childhood years were evoked in his later poetry with deep nostalgia. Mihai Eminescu is considered the "evening star" of Romanian poetry. Eminescu's poems have been translated in over 60 languages. His life, work and poetry strongly influenced the Romanian culture and they influenced my life making me look at feelings in a different way. His poems are widely studied in Romanian public schools. Here and I met the poet, and I began to love his poems. One of my favorite poems is "HOW MANY A TIME, BELOVED"

HOW MANY A TIME, BELOVED

How many a time, beloved, no longer do I know,
There seems to spread before me a sea of ice and snow;
And not a single star does in the heaven shine,
Only the yellow quite far away ... a sign.
While o’er the drifted waste of frozen ocean there
A bird with weary wings hangs In the winter air.
Its mate has gone ahead, and left it all alone,
Together with a flock that to the west has flown.
And so it gazes after, with tired, straining eyes,
But is no longer sorry now, nor glad ... and dies,
While do its parting dreams the happy past pursue.

..............................................................................

Day by day I’m farther, beloved one, from you,
And slowly, cold and darkness to take me for their prey ...
While you fly on for ever, midst time’s eternal day. 

117954 Eminescu's Tree By Aurel DavidMihai Eminescu - a part of my life, a part of me and a part of my soul

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagina_principal%C4%83 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihai_Eminescu