The MY HERO Project | Library

Miss You, Pat: Collected Memories of NY''s Bravest of the Brave, Captain Patrick J. Brown

By Sharon Watts

Publisher: Lulu Publishing, 2007
ISBN: 978-1-4303-2704-2
MY HERO recommends this book to adult readers.
A collection of stories told in first-person narrative, about FDNY legend Captain Patrick J. Brown, and his positive impact on lives that continues to inspire. Six years later people still talk about, and miss, Paddy Brown. The legendary FDNY captain was one of the first to arrive at the WTC on September 11, 2001. When warned not to go in there, he was quoted as saying: “Are you nuts? We’ve got a job to do!”

Everyone who knew and loved Pat held on to the firm belief and ironic comfort that he would have been nowhere else that day. It was as if his entire life of spiritual searching apexed in an act of pure selflessness, at 10:28 a.m., when the North Tower came down and Pat refused to leave the dozens of severely-burnt victims he had encountered. While on that spiritual path, he forged a life that forever touched everyone who crossed it. However, this book is not about a saint, but rather about a man who had to fight his demons all along the way, even as he went to battle on behalf of others. His former fiancee and close friend collected stories from those people, and wove in her own journal entries to form a quilt--one that comforts and heals. And remembers an amazing and inspiring man.

User Reviews:
Sharon Watts | 10/22/2007 11:47 PM
"Pat Brown was the kind of man I want my own sons to emulate. A man of bravery as well as compassion. As spiritual as he was physical. Settle down with "Miss You, Pat" and be reminded of all the wonderful things a human being can be." - Paul Martin, a Paralympian and Ironman Triathlete, and author of the memoir "One Man's Leg."

"A beautiful and moving tribute to a larger-than-life and yet real-life hero. Sharon Watts' labor of love lets you peek behind the tragic scenes of 9/11 to see not only the complexity of Pat Brown, who lost his life that day, but the love and respect he inspired--and left behind. It will break your heart and restore your faith in one masterful stroke."  -  Julie Mars, author of "A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister."

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews