Angels

Mother Teresa

by Valerie from United States

130128Mother TeresaAwesome Stories 

Would you believe that Mother Teresa spent her whole life donating to the poor? She saved so many lives and is very well known for it.  She was always kind and made poor people's lives so much better which really makes her a hero.

Mother Teresa was born on August 26, 1910.  Her birth name was Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu. She grew up in Skopje, the capital of the Republic of Macedonia.  However life was not so easy for Mother Teresa because when she was eight her dad died, so she was raised by her mother.  She devoted her life to God when she was about twelve years old. When Mother Teresa was 18, she joined the Sisters of Loreto.  Mother Teresa wanted to go to India, but decided to learn English first, so she went to Ireland for a year to learn English. After her trip to Ireland she left for India.  In fact, after she left she never saw her mom and sister again. In India she taught at a local school for a couple of years and eventually became a headmistress at a school in eastern Calcutta.  Mother Teresa started her mission to help the poor and needy when she was 36 by learning simple medical skills. Her mission was hard because most of the time she was poor herself because she gave away all her food.  In 1950 she started a group called the Missionaries of Charity, which is a group she created to help the poor.  In conclusion, Mother Teresa worked up to her death, on September 5th, 1997.

Mother Teresa accomplished a lot in her life. Mother Teresa has won 17 awards including the Nobel Peace Prize, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  In addition she started the Missionaries of Charity. The Missionaries of Charity started off with 13 members and eventually gained over 4,000 members.  She risked her life by saving 37 kids from a war zone. When Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, she asked that the money for the banquet go to the poor in India.  Mother Teresa learned a lot about helping the poor and devoted her life to helping the poor.

Mother Teresa was a true hero. She was helpful to the poor, and saved many of their lives. She was smart and hard working and was a hero to many. Mother Teresa will never be forgotten and will always be a hero to all.