My Coach

by M from Ljubljana in Slovenia

MY HERO

I do not really have someone to call a hero, but I respect many people. In the instructions it says I should write a story about my hero. I do not actually know if that was meant as an imaginary story or a real one, so I will tell you a story that happened a few months ago.

It is not a basic hero story, it is just a story about dedication that our coach has for our team and I really respect that. 

A few months ago, when we were preparing for nationals, we found out one of our dancers could not make it to nationals because she had prom that day as well. That means we would have a »hole« in our choreography positions and we would have a worse rating. Our coach cares a lot abut the team. She asked the people in charge if we could move the time of our performance to earlier in the day (because we were up very late and the dancer that had prom that day could only be there around noon). They usually do not make any changes, and this time it was not any different. But our coach tried a lot and she got them to give us another time, earlier in the day when we would just perform. We would perform the same dance twice, first just as a performance so the judges would see how the whole team looks together, and then we would compete with the other teams again, but this time with the »hole«. Lets say that problem was solved, but the issue was, we were competing in two categories and the other one was more important so they would not move it. So the coach solved this problem as well. She found a dancer that was not even competing and she taught her the choreography and everything so she could compete. So not only did she manage to convince the judges to give us one more performance (which is really hard), she also found us a new dancer. She invested so much effort in this and I really respect that, and that is what I think of when I hear the word hero.