Press_Release

The MY HERO Project Wins at the Third Anthem Awards

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 30, 2024

Contact: Jeanne Meyers
Email: [email protected]

154799Anthem Awards 2024MY HERO 

‘Create Films, Honor Heroes, Change the World’ - Wendy Milette

MY HERO is proud to announce that we have been honored with a Bronze placement at the third Anthem Awards for our Film Festival in the category of Education, Art & Culture - Event (Not-For-Profit). With approximately 2,000 submissions from 40 countries around the world, this is indeed a true honor and accomplishment and a tribute to the hard work of the team at MY HERO.

Said Patricia McLoughlin, Anthem Awards General Manager, “The work that we have received in the 3rd Annual Anthem Awards is game-changing. From innovative projects fighting climate change to impactful calls for equal rights across the globe and best-in-class CSR and ESG efforts- the Anthem Award Winners are a bright light in our uncertain world.”

The MY HERO International Film Festival, which is now in its 20th year, brings together professional and youth filmmakers who honor local and global heroes working for positive change in the world. Prizes and awards are awarded to primary, secondary, and college students as well as professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, and experimental.

Said Jeanne Meyers, Co-Founder and Director of MY HERO: “We are truly honored to be recognized as a winner in the category of Events in EDUCATION, ART, AND CULTURE. The other finalists are doing wonderful work, and this recognition means a great deal to our team at MY HERO and to those who support our non-profit organization.  I am grateful to Wendy Milette, our Film Festival Director, and to our Board of Directors and all of the devoted staff and contributing professional artists, writers, filmmakers, and students who have been helping build MY HERO’s festivals for the last 20 years.”

Wendy Milette has been the MY HERO Film Festival Director since the festival launched in 2005.    MY HERO has been building an online library of thousands of hero-themed films from around the world for the last 20 years under her direction. MY HERO Media Arts Educators mentor young filmmakers and connect student filmmakers to award-winning professional filmmakers, including those using VR and Immersive Technology. The winning short films shine a light on activists, peacemakers, environmentalists, humanitarians, artists, and others who make a positive impact in the world.

The MY HERO International Film Festival is supported by generous sponsors and several prominent Special Awards come with cash prizes to student and professional filmmakers. Categories include Women Transforming Media, and The Sing for Hope Music Video Award, sponsored by Eva Haller,  The Ron Kovic Peace Prize sponsored by the author, artist, and academy award winner, The Dan Eldon Activist Award given by Kathy and Amy Eldon, The WOJ Youth Reporter Award sponsored by global educator and author Esther Wojcicki, The Mattie Stepanek Poetry Prize awarded by his mother Jeni Stepanek, The Sylvia Earle Ocean Award sponsored by MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation, The Relationships First Award, sponsored by The Foundation for the Contemporary Family.

Previous winners include prominent filmmakers such as Ryan Coogler, Tiffany Shlain, Frank Marshall, Kayla Briët, Gabrielle Gorman, Abigail Disney, Corey J Gilbert and Albert Maysles, Louis Schwartzberg, and Jamy Wheless.

View all past winning films: myhero.com/films/winners

For further information and to submit your inspiring short film go to the MY HERO International Film Festival website. myhero.com/FilmFestival

About The Anthem Awards:

Launched in 2021 by The Webby Awards, The Anthem Awards honors the purpose & mission-driven work of people, companies and organizations worldwide. By amplifying the voices that spark global change, we’re defining a new benchmark for impactful work that inspires others to take action in their own communities. The Anthem Awards honors work across seven core causes: Diversity; Equity & Inclusion; Education; Art & Culture; Health; Human & Civil Rights; Humanitarian Action & Services; Responsible Technology; and Sustainability, Environment & Climate. Founded in partnership with the Ad Council, Born This Way Foundation, Feeding America, Glaad, Mozilla, NAACP, NRDC, WWF, and XQ. 

Anthem judges are intellectually diverse leaders from across the impact industry with expertise that spans across the Anthem cause areas. IADAS members include: Heather Dowdy, Director of Product Accessibility, Netflix; Alex Amouyel, President & CEO, Newman’s Own Foundation; Noel Kinder, Chief Sustainability Officer, Nike; Shaniqua McClendon, Vice President of Politics, Crooked Media/Vote Save America; Rawle Andrews Jr., Esq., Executive Director, American Psychiatric Association Foundation; Alison Moore, CEO, Comic Relief US; Christina Lang, Vice President of North American Marketing, Mozilla; Michelle Waring, Steward for Sustainability and Everyday Good, Tom’s of Maine; and more.

Find MY HERO at The Anthem Awards online: www.anthemawards.com/winners/list/entry/#education-art-culture/awareness-media-categories/my-heros-film-festival/456727

Website: www.anthemawards.com

Ends here

………………………………….