My Mom

by Melanie Tamayo-Cocuyam from Miami

When I think of someone who has always been there for someone, and has always supported them no matter what, I think of my mom. My mom was born in Valle de Cauca, Colombia. She grew up with a younger sister. My mom grew up and would always help around the house. Her grandparents took a huge part in her life. When she was 19 she met my dad. My parents dated for 5 years. My mom decided to move to the US at 24. My dad moved shortly later. My parents moved to the USA because they wanted to start a family, in the best place possible. My mom sacrificed a lot to make sure my brother and I can grow up in the US. My mom and dad have always made sure I can get the newest shoes, the newest toys, the newest devices, and the newest clothes. My mom has always helped people no matter the situation. My mom works at a hospital, and whenever a loved one or a family friend is at a hospital, my mom constantly takes time to check on them, reach out to their doctors, and make sure they are okay. My mom has also always been there for me. When I was 12 I was going through a tough time. My mom would always check up on me, make sure I was doing okay. She would also always make sure that I knew that I could talk to her if I needed to. She would take me every week to my therapist and always made sure that I was okay. To this day my mom is my hero, and she will always be my hero.