My Step-dad

by Shaelee - High School - from USA

My step-dad is my hero because he has helped me through many hard times in my life. I was about three-and-a-half when I first remember meeting him. My mom and my real dad had recently broken up because of the way my dad was acting, so my mom was alone with me and my older sister. It was hard for a while, until my mom and my step-dad got together. After that, we always knew that we would have a house over our heads, because we had been living in a motel for a while. Anyway, as I got older, my step-dad taught me many things. I was always well-educated because of him, and he always made sure I got to do what I wanted to. My step-dad always supported me throughout everything. For a while, I didn't want to talk to or be near my dad because he had gotten much worse with his alcohol problems. My step-dad never made me talk to or go near him just because I didn't want to. Now, as I am in high school, I have made the decision to change my last name because my step-dad has been there for me much more than my real dad.