National Preparedness Month Teacher Lesson Plan

Established in 2004, September is National Preparedness Month. The US observance reminds families to plan for emergencies. Resources included help students assist their families' preparedness in case of an emergency.

Students identify heroes in their own communities during the coronavirus.

How are people helping others? What is being done to prevent the spread of the virus? What are students doing to prevent the spread of the virus? How has school changed due to the virus? 

Students are encouraged to submit stories, art and films to the MY HERO Coronavirus Multimedia contest.

Students read the following Disaster Hero Stories and consider the discussion questions and activities. 

Tad Agoglia

By: Amanda Molinaro from Irvine

Tad Agoglia is founder of the First Response Team of America.

Welles Crowther

By: Brooke Ellis

Welles, Crowther, known as The Man in the Red Bandanna, saved 18 people in the 9/11 Twin Towers attack.

Discussion Questions

1. Do you know anyone who has helped others during or after a disaster? Share their story with MY HERO.

2. Have you or someone you know ever experienced a disaster? Share that story with MY HERO.

Learning Outcome 

Students of all ages will be better equipped to handle emergencies and disasters. Students will be encouraged to work with their families in order to be prepared in the event of a disaster or emergency. 

It is important for students to talk with their families about what to do in the event of disaster. Included below are resources to help teach students to be prepared. The national public awareness campaign Ready.gov works to educate Americans on preparing for and responding to natural and man-made disasters. This website is a great disaster preparedness resource for those in any country to use at school and home. 

Teachers: Here is curriculum appropriate for all grade levels, available from Ready.gov.

Disaster Preparedness for Grades 1-12

Supplemental Curriculum from Ready.gov

First Step: Be Informed

Click on your state to learn more about which disasters could affect your area: https://www.ready.gov/kids/maps

Interactive Disaster Preparedness Map
Credit: Ready.gov

Use this resource to learn more about how to prepare for and respond to the possible risks in your area: https://www.ready.gov/be-informed.

Second Step: Create a Family Evacuation Plan

During disasters, cell phone reception may not be reliable. Students should talk with their families and create a family communication plan. The forms below will help students create the plan.

Family Communication Plan - Kids
Credit: FEMA
Family Communication Plan - Adults
Credit: FEMA

Third Step: Build an Emergency Preparedness Kit

Create an emergency preparedness kit. Here's a Disaster Supplies Checklist from FEMA.

Video From FEMA for Kids

Disaster Preparedness Games-Elementary and Middle School Students

Get ready for some serious adventure. Step into the heart of the action as you help the heroes face everything from home fires to earthquakes. What should they do?

Disaster Master Game from Ready.gov
Credit: Ready.gov

You're on a mission. Go though different locations with Gayle and her friends to find what you need for an emergency kit. Will you pick the correct items? Have fun and build a checklist along the way. 

Be a Hero, Build a Kit Game from Ready.gov
Credit: Ready.gov

Great Resources for Elementary-Age Students

My Hero Is You e-book
Credit: IASC MHPSS RG

Stay Safe and Healthy During Coronavirus

Coach West helps youth navigate through the emotional fallout of COVID-19 with helpful tips

Staying Well with Coach West

Produced by:Jessica Ordaz, Emma Garcia, Nicole Petrovsky, Jennifer Bose, Felicia...

Stay Healthy

By: Mahdiyar Amidsardari

This artwork was created by a student in Iran during the coronavirus.

Stay safe because you're a hero !

By: Sophia Lambert
Celebrating heroes in healthcare.

Wear Your Mask

By: Li Qiao an; Ren Wen hwei

This poster was created to warn Taiwanese people about COVID-19 and how to protect themselves from the threat. 

Wear a Mask

By: Nikta Hashemi

This artwork was created by a student in Iran to showcase the need to wear a mask during the coronavirus. 

Middle School and High School Students from Iran Honor Coronavirus Heroes Through Original Film, Artwork, and Stories

Stories, Films and Art Honoring Coronavirus Heroes

By: Laura Nietzer
Student work submitted from Iran for the Coronavirus Multimedia Contest

Coronavirus Essay Contest Winners and MY HERO's Ongoing Coronavirus Multimedia Contest

Coronavirus Essay Contest Winners
Coronavirus Contest 11/1 Deadline

Laura Nietzer

The National Preparedness Month lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Learning Circle Director Laura Nietzer.

Related Pages and Resources

Poco a Poco (Little by Little)

Asya Rachitsky

2017 Hurricane Maria Devastated Puerto Rico

External Links

Save the Children: Get Ready, Get Safe
Credit: Save the Children
American Red Cross How to Prepare for Emergencies
Credit: Red Cross

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Organizer created on 7/30/2019 3:04:51 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 9/1/2021 12:22:31 PM by Laura Nietzer