Neil Armstrong

by Simon ALBERIC from France

My personal hero was Neil Armstrong, an astronaut who was the first man to walk on the moon in 1969. He was American and he was born on the 5th August 1930 in Ohio and he died on the 25th August 2012 at 82 years old of disease and he received a national homage by all American people. After engaging in the Korean War in 1950, he  decided to start the astronaut's training and started it in 1962.

His first space flight was in 1966 with the Gemini 8 Mission and, with this mission, he did the first mooring between two space gears. His main and second mission was Apollo 11 in 1969 where he became the first man to walk on the moon with this famous sentence: "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind".

For me, Neil Armstrong was a great hero for  the human history because, thanks to his feat, he allowed a great progress for the actual world and he pushed back the human limits and this is exactly my definition of a hero: a man who pushes the limits for himself or for the others and it's really beneficial for humanity actually. This hero is my personal hero because his exploit gives me the curiosity and the will to explore many things and to understand better the modern world.