Jesse Owens

by Devon from Raleigh, North Carolina

James Cleveland Owens was born in 1913 in a town in Alabama. When J.C. was eight years old his family moved to Cleveland Ohio. He went to a public scool. At the scool his teacher thought his name was Jesse insted of J.C. and he was called that from then on. When Jesse was running errands for his parents he found his love for running.

In his gym class the students were timed for the 60-yard dash. The gym coach saw Jesse's running talent and wanted him to join the track team. Jesse attended East Technical High School and became a track star. When he was a senior he tied the world track record of 9.4 seconds. Out of all the colleges to attend Jesse choose to attend Ohio State University. Jesse took his team to the Big Ten tournament,there he set three world records and tied fourth. During the tournament he fell down a flight of stairs and was questionable for running.

Jesse was able to enter the race and he did. He set a new world record in the 220-dash in 20.3 seconds. In Jesse's sopmore year he realized that he needed more competition and he entered the summer Olympics in Germany. They were held in Nazi Germany and Hitler wanted to prove that the Germans were better than anyone. Jesse won 4 gold medals: in the 100-meter dash, the long jump, the 200-meter dash and the 400 meter relay.

Jesse Owens was the first American to win four gold medals in one Olympic game. Jesse may have been famous, but his family still struggled finacially. Jesse left scool and became a runner-for-hire. He raced anything thay wanted him to, like cars and motorcycles. Jesse raced horses before Negro Baseball League games. Jesse Owens started his own Public Relations firm. He went around the country and spoke for companies such as Ford, and The U.S. Olympic Committee.

In 1976 Jesse Owens was awarded the Medal of Freedom. Jesse Owens had overcome segregation and proved that black people belonged in the U.S. and could succeed in life if they tried. On March 31, 1980 Jesse Owens died at the age of 66 due to cancer. Jesse Owens will always be remembered for his heroics and being the fastest man in the world.