The MY HERO Project | Library

Picabo: Nothing to Hide

By Picabo Street, Dana White

Publisher: NTC Publishing Group, October 2001
ISBN: 0071383123
MY HERO recommends this book to young adult readers.
From the Publisher
The moment she burst onto the world stage at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, 23-year-old speed demon Picabo Street ignited a fire of excitement in the media and in the hearts of fans that continues to burn today. Free-spirited and outspoken, Street was a new kind of female athlete and a new kind of role model.

Street followed her silver medal win with two straight World Cup downhill titles­­a feat unmatched in American skiing­­and finally, the ultimate Olympic gold medal win in Nagano in 1998. But success had its price. Just one month after her gold medal win, Street careened off course in a race in Switzerland, snapping her left femur in two, shredding the ligament in her right knee, and leaving her future in peril. Now, after two years of excruciating pain, grueling rehabilitation, and stunning personal growth, Street is making a comeback, ready to face the 2002 Winter Olympics and ready to tell her inspiring story.

In this powerful, honest autobiography, Street shares her coming-of-age experience, revealing how adversity shaped a rebellious tomboy into a champion athlete and compassionate woman, in harmony with her family and at peace with her fear of failure. Here, for the first time, Street addresses the pressures exerted on her by her ski sponsors that may have been partly to blame for her terrible crash; the scandals surrounding the Salt Lake City Olympic Committee; and how she overcame a lengthy, debilitating depression.

In the tradition of Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike and Greg Louganis's Breaking the Surface, Picabo: Nothing to Hide is a poignant, intimate account of a woman forced to rebuild herself­­body, mind, and soul. "I learned what all girls need to learn: that you can kick ass, and you should never be ashamed of it."­­Picabo Street

User Reviews:
Andy hernandez | 3/17/2008 2:06 AM
your book is cool

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews