Po-Lin Chi

by Jenny Guo, Tonny Huang, Rain Lee - High School - from Taiwan, Tainan

In Taiwan, there are so many people to be respected. But one of them we admire is a director who used an empty shot perspective to lead us to see the difference about Taiwan, not fearing the high altitude turbulence, or the climate variety. He was always dedicated to taking his camera to record Taiwan. But in 6/10/2017 when he was shooting the sequel about "Beyond Beauty-TAIWAN ABOVE," he was killed in an air crash at the age of 52.

Po-Lin Chi was born in Taipei, Taiwan. He was a director, photographer, and environmentalist, with an empty shot grandmaster reputation. In the past, Po-Lin Chi worked for the house shooting advertisement. He felt the beautified photos covered so many facts, so he decided to open his empty shooting career. He was very concerned about Taiwan's environment. One day on his way to work, he found that the green overlooked from the air is not green. Many high mountains were destroyed and the city became ugly because of those high buildings.

On 8/8/2009, a very serious typhoon hit Taiwan. He took a helicopter to see the ground seriously destroyed. He realized the image was not strong enough for people to feel the crisis. So he took all his property, including his house mortgage, to found a movie company called "Above Taiwan Cinema, Inc." and began shooting the greatest documentary, "Beyond Beauty-TAIWAN ABOVE." This documentary obtained the 50th "Golden Horse Awards" nomination in 2013, and got the best documentary award. This documentary exposed "Advanced Semiconductor Engineering, Inc." emission of considerable waste water into the river in Kaohsiung, and European-style illegal constructions on the hills of Cingjing farm, Hualien Asian Cement Corporation mining place, and Wulai hot springs pipeline was privately set up, etc. Many environmental issues led the Taiwanese to gradually value the environment and economic development at the same time. The damage to the environment is worth thinking about.

There are many great people in the world, but very few people will tell the truth. Like the story "The Emperor's New Clothes," saying something nobody wants to listen to may not be admired. He used his camera with his lifelong dedication to Taiwan's land. This sentiment is worth being admired, and he brought issues to make people think. Thank you, Po-Lin Chi!!!

Wikipedia - About Po-Lin Chi's introduction
Wikipedia - About Po-Lin Chi's photoes