Ryan Maher

by Timothy from Menife

There are many people in my life that I would choose as a personal hero, but the person whom stands out the most is my friend Ryan, whom I have known for eight years. I chose Ryan as my personal hero because he is a caring individual who cares more about friends than himself. I chose Ryan because of how he encourages others around him to better themselves in the way they live, like eating healthy or encouraging others to speak properly, or not using foul language. He also encourages others to contribute to community service. Ryan encourages others because he is constantly contributing to community service on his days off from work and the good that he does makes him try to get others involved.

He is involved in a big brother program, where he helps children who have disabilities. His work with disabled children has inspired me to get involved with the program, to help the disabled children have a better life. On Saturday and Sunday early in the morning, Ryan is at a homeless shelter feeding people less fortunate than he is, and he helps some of them find jobs. After he is done with the homeless, Ryan heads over to his big brother program where he stays for the rest of the day, playing and helping kids with homework.

Ryan is a hero to many people who know him, not only for his extracurricular activities but for how he treats his friends and others around him. Ryan is always there if you need him and he is constantly encouraging his friends to do better things with their life. For example, Ryan encouraged me to go back to school and get a college degree, so I can go further in life. I chose Ryan as my personal hero because he truly is a selfless person and I am glad to have him as my friend and hero.