MULTIMEDIA RESOURCE

Resources for Promoting Voting Rights and Democracy

Use the following resources to honor those who worked to secure voting rights for all and who uphold the values of democracy, including those outlined in the US Constitution.

It is important to honor those who promote democratic values and learn to tell the difference between credible information and misinformation. 

John Lewis

John Lewis was the son of Alabama sharecroppers. He became a civil rights activist who played a key role in the March on Washington and the Selma to Montgomery March for voting rights. John Lewis went on to become a leader in Congress, representing Georgia's 5th district in the US House of Representatives for 33 years.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the second woman appointed to the U.S. Supreme Court. Throughout her term she was a leading voice for gender equality, women's interests, and civil rights and liberties.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Lesson Plan and Resources

Martin Luther King, Jr Lesson Plan

Martin Luther King Jr. a social rights activist, was a leader of the civil rights movement in the United States. His organizing of peaceful protests, including the March on Washington, led him to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.

Before it became a sovereign nation in 1961, South Africa was held under British rule. In 1948, the policy of apartheid, segregation based on race with the white minority ruling, became official and did not end until 1991. Nelson Mandela was one of South Africa's great leaders in the fight against apartheid. 

Nelson Mandela Multimedia Showcase Link

Stories About Heroes Who Uphold the Values of Democracy 

Daniel Ellsberg

By: Robert Ellsberg

Daniel Ellsberg is a whistleblower and truth teller responsible for publishing the Pentagon Papers.

Meg Greenfield

By: Staff

Mary Ellen "Meg" Greenfield was an influential figure in journalism for two decades as the editorial editor of the Washington Post (1979-1999) and a columnist for Newsweek (1974-1999).

Sonia Sotomayor

By: Daniel Chavez

Sonia Sotomayor is the first Hispanic US Supreme Court Justice and currently serves as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. [This story is also available in Spanish.]

Fannie Lou Hamer

By: Nina Mariotti
Fannie Lou Hamer was a civil rights leader and voting rights advocate.

Helen Suzman

By: Wyatt, Ryan, and Emily of North Eugene High School
Helen Suzman bravely stood up against apartheid and was the first female South African Minister of Parliament.

Films Honoring Whistleblowers and Social Justice Activists

Thanks to the Whistleblowers

Produced by:Fredrick Armstrong
A tribute to the courage of those who stood up for justice.

Unsung Hero Song

Produced by:Kitty Richardson, George Abalone, Edited by Katie Graubart, Animatio...

A tribute to young heroes who fight for social justice.

Art

Vote for Our Lives by Laci Jordan for Amplifier

By: Laci Jordan for the Amplifier Foundation
In partnership with Adobe Project 1324, Amplifier hosted an open call for youth art to be carried through the streets for March for Our Lives.

Daniel Ellsberg by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly from Americans Who Tell the Truth
Daniel Ellsberg decided to expose the Pentagon Papers which helped end the Vietnam War.

Audio

Freedom Hero: Chief Joseph

By: The My Hero Project
The Earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.

Freedom Hero: Alexander Hamilton by Katie from Laguna Beach

By: The My Hero Project
He has impacted my life because his helpful support of the war started a national movement towards independence which we now enjoy in our country.

John Lewis

By: The My Hero Project
No one had to tell John to stand up for what he believed was right; it just came naturally.

External Links 

UN International Day of Democracy
Credit: UN

The News Literacy Project works with educators and journalists to give students the skills they need to discern fact from fiction and to know what to trust.

News Literacy Project Link
Credit: News Literacy

Classroom Resource: Three ways to teach the insurection at the U.S. Capital

PBS Newshour Extra
Credit: PBS

Classroom Resource: How to engage students in civil discourse following events at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021

PBS Newshour Extra
Credit: PBS

Collection of searchable, vetted civic education, law-related education, and government lesson plans to help teachers build informed and engaged citizens.

teaching civics.org
Credit: teaching civics

For Educators: Responding to the insurrection at the U.S. Capital on January 6, 2021

Facing History and Ourselves
Credit: Facing History

Organizer created on 1/7/2021 1:07:50 PM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 9/14/2021 4:40:05 PM by Laura Nietzer